6 days to RETIREMENT & fishing trip too

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by GATOR9, May 25, 2011.

1. GATOR9 Hey you guys

Yakima, Wa.
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    A little help here please. I have been working since June of 1957 at age 9 and it is time to stop. Aside from 6 days to retirement:D I have been given a one week use of a Towne House in Bigfork, Mt. with a one day guided trip with Two River Gear & Outfitter. We have never fished Mt. other than Yellowstone so any advisement would be appreciated such as better time of year to go for one. Another would be what streams, rivers in the Bigfork area that one can get to wading rather than floating. Thanks in advance.:beer1:
  2. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +221 / 1
    I can't offer any info on Montana, but do offer you "congratulations" on your retirement. :thumb::thumb::thumb::beer1:
  3. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    Can you cast from the window of the Town house?
    Great place, Bigfork, MT.
    Be sure to eat at the ole stage station, best prime rib ever.
    Just pick some water and start casting, good fishing abounds.
    O'ya congrats, lucky dog
  4. Bones24 Member

Yakima, Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Sooo, does your favorite son get to go on this fishing trip??????????

I better warn everyone as well, this old guy just bought himself a laptop so his post count could skyrocket!!

Congratulations OLD MAN, you deserve the retired life!!
  5. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +886 / 0
    Well played, Gator; congratulations!
  6. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,664 / 0
    Congrats on your retirement you old fart. But right now the rivers are in flood stage. Several places along I-90 are closed because of high water. The Missouri might be a good bet because it has several dams on it. But anything else will probably be a wash out.
  7. Ryan Havelka New Member

seattle,wa
    The Missouri is way too high to wade now as well, they are letting a ton of water out of Holter Dam due to the high snow pack.
  8. GATOR9 Hey you guys

Yakima, Wa.
    Thanks for the information guys. The good thing about this is that we can go any time of our choosing. We are leaning towards September and I would think that would be a pretty good time to do so. I have some information on one fly shop that we will be sure to check out. Any further info. will be appreciated.
  9. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    September would be a good choice. After Labor Day most of the crowds will be gone. Have fun when you go.
  10. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +317 / 1
    I'm so jealous! About a year from now, I'll be posting a similar message. I started working in the late fifties also and after several job changes, have been in a classroom for 25 years. Next year's it for me and I hope to spend many quality days fishing after that. Congratulations!
  11. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +211 / 0
    So Gator, we're the same age, both from Yakima and now you are coming into recess period. Welcome and well done. Which high school in the valley did you attend? Please don't tell me Davis.
  12. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,359 / 9
    Upton, aren't you a bit beyond the high school rivalry crap? Just get Gator out on the water every day for the next month and enjoy the camaraderie.
  13. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ed, first, we never get over the Ike/Davis crap, there isn't much else to do in Yakima. The next issue: I didn't bring up the Georgia Bulldog/Florida Gator possibility, football fans from southern universities love to poke at each other. We even get to take turns being national champions. Gator can fish with me anytime he finds himself on this side of the mountains, he can teach me a thing or two while I give him a ration of "stuff". I'm sure he'll manage retirement like many of us have, never enough time to get everything done, wondering how we got it done while we were working. The reason is because we CAN put it off until tomorrow because there is no job to report to. Best wishes Gator, hit the water often, expand your horizons, take new risks. We're in the 4th quarter and we can't see how much time is left on the clock. Just don't tell me you're a Davis grad.
  14. Bones24 Member

Yakima, Washington
    Thought I should respond since the old man is out of town for a few days. He's not a Davis grad but thank god he's not an Ike grad either!!! Sorry, Upton but I had to throw that in there. I was a West Valley grad.
  15. willburrrr2003 Member

everett, WA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Congrats on your retirement, hope you get to enjoy lots of fishing, family, friends, and fun!

Regards,

Will
  16. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Bones, no offense taken, WV was probably the best school in the Valley. I knew a few of the kids there, spent time with'em, no snobbery that you might find at IKE. Funny coincidence six years ago: I'm heading to Lincoln Park and there's some guy trying to hitch a ride in a nice neighborhood. He's well dressed, looks okay, so I pick up the first hitchhiker of my life. Turns out he's an airline pilot in town visiting his mother in Seattle. He's married to one of my old WV friends. Unbelievable. Anyway, back to Gator, why the Gator moniker?
  17. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    I remember when I first retired. I used to go fishing at the drop of a hat. Now that I've been retired for 12+years. It takes a drop of a bomb to even get me moving. One sure gets lazy in ones old age.

My mind is willing but it's like winter out. It snowed the other day and at night it is still snowing in the high passes
  18. Bones24 Member

Yakima, Washington
    Upton, that is a funny coincidence! Small world I guess! With regards to Gator, my dad will have to explain that because I am not entirely sure even though he probably told me sometime in the past! The only thing I can think of is that was the nickname of his #2 grandson when he was younger.

Old Man, I am hoping that doesn't happen to my father for a while. He has been my fishing partner since I was a little kid. Getting older his body is definitely breaking down. Ha hell, he is a walking medical nightmare averaging some sort of surgery every 9-10 months!! He's usually always in pain but he keeps pushing on to find the next great fishing spot. Now if I could just teach him to catch some fish!! I'm sure he'll have a lot to say when he gets back in town.
  19. GATOR9 Hey you guys

Yakima, Wa.
    Thanks guys for all the responses. TODAY IS THE LAST WORKING DAY. That sure felt good to say. One of our employees just gave me a book with maps of little known places in Wa. to fish published by the Hunting and News Magazine.

Upton, GATOR began 14 years ago with my second oldest G/Son. When he was a baby he would crawl up on our bed and crawl around like a bunch of gators in a feed frenzy and the name stuck. Only my sons attended school here in Yakima. I grew up in a small town called Colfax, Wa., extreme east side of the state where fishing and hunting is one of the best areas in the state.

My son commented on my surgeries and it is more like every 5 1/2 months for the last 10 years. Just finished up with trigger finger surgery four weeks ago Thursday. At least the typing is getting quicker. It sucks to be in my body but two of my Surgeons are avid F/Fisherman so they know my priorities and they keep me upright and in the water. Thanks again for the responses and can hardly wait for the Montana trip. We are now looking at last couple weeks in August. Bones you need to start planning around that time.
    :beer1::beer1::beer1: