6 Million Pinks to the Puget Sound this summer.....

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by KEM, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hey Steve, we still doing the big welcome party for the pinks at your place?

3. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    It is that simple.

It just means there are more
    yahoos on the beach while I'm after Silvers
    having fun....

4. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Yes, I haven't published it yet but I think it will be Sunday, August 14th. I won't know for sure until I get back from Mexico on July 10th. That gives us a month to make plans. It's pretty certain but I need to figure out how many people we can accomodate for one day. We had fifty yesterday for a graduation party but I don't think the locals wouldn't like to see 5o flyfishermen on the beach. That would be too many. I'm thinking along the lines of 20 or so. It's more managable for food and fishing.

5. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    Hooked, bleed for 5 min, gutted, and on ice.

6. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    At Steve's party, I'll catch a pink, gut it and have it on the grill within a few short minutes. We'll do the fresh test for you naysayers

7. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Browns Point, Dash Point State Park and Puyallup ... close by and crowds aren't too bad. As a bonus, I'm also able to practice my Russian while fishing the Puyallup ;)

8. Jon Brengan

Jon Brengan flyfishing addict

For all the bad rap, I happen to like Pinks....maybe not for eating. But for teaching non-fly fishers the ins and outs of fly fishing for these salmon. I took several friends and my brother out to a "S" river during the last round. They all got hooked up, they all had fun, and they are all asking when we are going again. I always take my friend with MS out for a day on the river too....he never gets a chance to go fishing anymore so is always grateful and there's nothing better than the grin on his face when he's hooked up and pulls one in. Maybe these fish are a pain, but I have turned out some really gunghoe flyfishers with my saying "once you hook up, you'll want more" it still holds true. Pinks lead these guys to want to fish for SH and other salmon trips and I'm teaching one of these guys how to tie flies this spring. I look forward to these fish.

9. uberschweiz

uberschweiz New Member

I'm headed up to Anderson Island with the extended family over the weekend and was hoping to possibly throw some flies from the shore for pinks. Would any of you be willing to share some tips? Should I even be trying to Anderson Island? To far south?

Thanks and great forum here!
    Ben

10. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Anderson is too far south in the sound IMO. Only pinks bound for the Nisqually will pass by, and the Nisqually is the southernmost and smallest pink run in the sound.

Sg

11. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Salmo, a friend told me that the Snohomish had the biggest average size around, I thought it might be the Fraser, would you happen to know?

12. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Chris,

The pinks I've seen on the Fraser were pretty small, but you really need a multi-year sample among rivers to make an informed conclusion. So I guess I don't know.

Old info had Skagit, Stilly, Snoho pinks at 5.3 pound average. Purse seine catches produce a representative sample. Gillnets select for larger than average fish usually.

Sg

13. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    This season, my puyallup run fish have been averaging larger in size than my north sound rivers fish. That definitely wasn't the case two years ago.