6 Weight DS2

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by easymends, May 28, 2008.

1. I was wondering about a line recommendation for a Sage 6 Weight 4 piece DS2. The rod has been sitting in the closet for 3 years and I figured its time to line it up. Its a pretty slow rod and it seems most of the lines today aren't made for slower action rods. What line, was thinking just a Rio Trout taper in 6 should cover it?

Thanks.

2. I have that rod, and a 4 wt, and two 8 wt DS's also. I would recommend an Orvis Salmon/Steelhead taper for a dry line. You may consider over lining it by 1 weight.

3. What will you be using it for? I wouldn't call it a 'slow' rod, but squarely in the medium/medium-fast range. I had a 5wt DS2 that fished well with a standard 5wt floating line, as well as a Rio Nymph taper.

If you're just using it for trout, a 6wt Trout taper would be fine. I'd be wary to use anything like an SA GPX or Rio Grand, since as you noted these newer lines match better with faster-action rods. If you're not making long casts, however, a GPX-like line may work well.

I wouldn't overline it, unless you're making casts < 30ft from a drift boat.

4. Obviously Jim and I have different opinions.

I overlined mine with the Orvis Wonderline because the rod behaved better for me. Also my understanding of the Salmon/Steelhead Wonderline is that it was/is supposed to be pretty limp compared to other lines and to me it feels a bit on the light side. My choice was a "touch" thing when I was trying out lines. There are other brand lines that I don't overline any of my rods with because they either weigh more, are a bit stiffer and naturally roll cast or spey better, or just plain behave differently. I am not saying you need to overline it. Cast it and feel for yourself. I recommend trying several lines out at your local shop.

Jim, I am curious. Why only for less than 30 foot casts?

5. Just an opinion-- overlining is a great way to load a faster rod for close-in casts, where you'd be flailing otherwise. Not to say that a 5wt line on a 5wt TiCr or XP won't cast well, but trying to be accurate with a light line on a stiff rod for short casts can be tough. YMMV.

It's fresh in my mind because I was just casting a 5WF on a 4wt TiCr, and it felt great in close, but it was a bit overloaded at 70+ feet. If that happens on a relatively stiff rod like a TiCr, then that's why I don't recommend it right away on a med/med-fast DS2.

6. If you are an average caster, I would suggest using an SA GPX or a Rio Gold line, for an all around casting line (short and long casts). These lines should help you load the rod more quickly and easily, and assist in your overall casting. Another alternative, as Jeremy suggested, is to upline it by one weight. If you like to nymph or short cast, as Maui Jim noted, this will help load the rod more quickly for these short casts.

If you are an above average caster, and can lay out casts longer than 50 feet, then a WF6F or DT6F line would work great for you. I also like the SA Mastery Steelhead as an all round floating line. Awesome taper/line.

My recommendation in general would be to buy an SA GPX WF6F line.

7. I have found the Cortland 444 DT or WF (Peach) to be great lines for these rods, as a general all purpose floater.

8. I don't think I've ever owned a 6 wt DS2, but I have owned several others. Wonderful rods, but definately not the fastest in the Sage stable.

Personally, I wouldn't ever consider overlining a DS2. It's a bit of an oversimplification, but overlining basically slows down a rod. That's why you do it. A DS2 is already pretty darned slow. If you have a real fast stroke or you're looking to carry a ton of line in the air and throw it a mile, you might even consider putting a 5 wt line on it.

Overall though, your DS2 should cast very nicely with just a standard taper 6 wt line. SA Trout, XPS or Ultra 4. Rio Selective Trout, Classic, Mainstream. The Cortland 444 Classic Peach was probably designed with this rod in mind.

If you want to slow the rod down a little bit, you might consider something like a Rio Grand or SA GPX. Those are a half-weight heavy. But again, it's overlining. Mainly used for faster rods.

9. Here's another example. I've got a pre-Schwab Powell Tiboron 6wt that was probably built in the early to mid 90s. This was back when speed was king and manufacturers were playing with materials and tapers to get faster and faster actions. This Powell was the one that really went over the line. It's your classic broomstick taper.

If I've got a full 30' of a standard WF6F outside the tip of this rod, I can shoot 90-100' with one false cast. Problem is that if I've got 10' of line outside the tip, it takes me 3 false casts to get to 30'. It takes a full 30' of fly line to load this rod at all.

I put a Rio Grand line on it. Problem solved. It's still not my favorite rod, but overlining it at least made it usable.

10. I have had that rod for a long time and I like to use an Airflo Ridgeline Tactical Trout for the obvious and the SA steelhead Taper for both carp and steelhead. The DS may be a slow rod in regards to Sage rods but it is more a moderate action rod overall. That six weight will work fine for you on the Yuba and Feather for steelhead this Fall.

11. iagree I was going to say 6 wt. ridgline. i also agree with the above posts, and would recommend against overlining it. I have had a few ds2's and fished a handful and everyone i have fished lined up with what was printed on it. Those were a great stick!

12. Cortland 444, Rio Main Stream, or Orvis wonderline would work well for that rod.

13. Sounds like a good recommendation. I had a 9' 2pc 6wt Sage DS2 and I lost it in a rafting incident last year. This was my first rod back in 2000 and I fished it hard. I eventually got an an 8wt RPLXi-- that thing was fast (gone now too in the rafting incident). While the DS2 was not nearly as fast as the RPLXi, it was a lot faster than other 6wt's I've casted. In general, I really miss the DS2. I had just set it up with a litespeed 2.0 reel prior to the accident, and I was using a 6wt steelhead floater from Orvis (probably the Wonderline). Having learned on that rod, it had become somewhat of an extension of my body. There may be better lines, but the Orvis steelhead line worked great and tough to beat for the money. I've now got the same line (8wt) on an Orvis large arbor Battenkill on my replacement 8wt, and it seems to have more memory than the line I had on my old 6wt. That being said, I really liked it on the 6wt DS2, and you may even find it cheap on close-out somewhere. I'd definitely see what kind of deal I could find on the Ridgeline too.

14. I've used a 4 wt. 4-piece D2 with rio lines and find they load faster, which is nice for close-up casts. It's a sweet rod.

Question for you DS2 folks: I want to 'upgrade' to another 4 wt/Sage rod, but I like the action of the DS2. What other model do you think is most similar in terms of feel/action? I'm looking at a budget of under $500.

Thanks for any input.

15. OlyFlyGuy,

Maybe the SLT series? I've got a VPS, and it's a bit faster than the DS2. Maybe the VPS Light would be a little closer. The TXLs are softer rods as well, but I think they're only available in lighter line weights-- some of these have been discontinued so it'd be tougher to find and cast them side-by-side, but those are some ideas. Others more familiar with the full Sage lineup may have better recommendations for ya.

16. I still buy DS2's because I haven't found a good full flex rod from sage that I like better.

17. Another thing to remember is that this rod being a 4piece is going to make it even slower than other DS2s.

With low end rods where special engineering doesn't always go into the ferrules for cost reasons, multiple pieces can make the rod much slower.

I like the DS2 series as long as it is the 2piece variety.

The 4pieces I have cast are too slow for me and I would def. spend time finding the right line.

Sorry for not being much of any help :) Just some things to consider.

18. I have casted several DS and DS2's and I think the 583-4 piece is one of their master pieces for dry fly'ing.

19. I'm not sure that Sage makes a rod these days with a comparible action to the DS2. That's a bit of a shame.

If you like the DS2, you might consider a used one. There are a million of them out there. After 'The Movie' that was the recommended first rod for a whole generation of would-be fly fishers. I bet more than half of them got used 3 times then put in a closet. I see them on Ebay and Craigslist all the time.

20. I bought two of them in the last year for $150 from people. They are one of the best deals going.