6 Weight Skagit Casting

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Connor H, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Connor H

Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

So I am looking at buying a 6 weight Spey as a kind of all around spey. it is 12'6". I was wondering how effective a lighter rod would be at throwing Semi-Large intruders and marabou patterns for winter fish? I know a larger rod would be better, but I also want a good summer run rod. Does anyone here use a 6# spey for winter fish? It will be coming with a scandi head, but I am also looking to see how well it will perform with a skagit head and sink tips. Any input is well appreciated.

2. Rick Sharp

Rick Sharp Member

6 Weight Skagit Casting...

I have a MKS 6/7 and using a skandit line system from Steve Godshall, it throws pretty much what I want for winter fish. Good weight rod for all around use in my opinion.

3. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

I have an 11' 6" Forecast that is rated 6/7, and I use either a 6 wt short head Spey line on it or a 400 gn Skagit head with 10' tips. I use it on smaller rivers for summer and winter steelhead. I don't throw half chickens with it, but have cast 3/0 AJ hooks with medium dumbells with no problem.

Sg

4. Connor H

Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

I'm not necessarily talking about throwing half a chicken, but more like lightly weighted intruders of the 3.5" variety, and marabou patterns such as the hohbo spey and others like it. I am really excited to get a spey, because I had to sell my other one 2 years ago.

5. 6 Weight Skagit Casting...

Keep those intruders sparse and you are in business! Not sure where you're fishing but certain washington winters could ruin your day with that rod...

6. Wadecalvin

Wadecalvin Member

I fished a friends Echo Solo 12'6" 6wt with a 480 Skagit and I was very impressed- there are some other great popular six weights out there- The Echo TR, TFO Deer Creek 6/7, Sage VXP- Forecast 11'6 6/7 -All on my wish list -Also the Batson Rainshadow- but I consider it is more of a Scandi rod and a true 6wt- I think the others mentioned may have more power for tips. I've heard good things about the G Loomis Versaspey too.

7. Connor H

Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

I am probably buying the Winston Vapor 6126 from a member here on the site. I wanted a rod for summers, but with the rare trip to the OP for winters. I know that some fish may blow up my rod, but my family gear fishes for winters, and I am not above that. I just want a spey, and as long as I can toss flies to a certain type of anadromous fish, I think I will get it. BTW, might be getting the Speydicator line...:p

8. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Find a 12' 6" or 13' 7wt I think you'll find it more versatile. Even 5# eastside fish put a good bend in it and it'll be more comfortable when you break out the t14. Or when you get ripped on by a pissed off ten pounder. I fished a 12' 6" deer creek 5/6 all summer and fall and its a great stick but once the big tips came out it was doable but not ideal. I think a 7 is a great compromise if you're only gonna have one.

9. Tom Palmer

Tom Palmer Active Member

My friend fishes his 6-weight on the OP for winter chrome all the time during the early season (when the hatchery fish are running) and it works great.

A 6 weight spey is pretty similar in fighting power to an 8 single hander, which has long been the "standard" for steelheading. Given a decent reel and strong Maxima tippet I would have no qualms fishing it.

Eventually you'll need a spare rod(s), so just pull the trigger and before long you'll have multiple sizes anyway. (my logic anyway!)

10. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

In my very inexperienced mind I see most folks start with a 12-13 foot 7 or 8 weight for their first spey and as they get more experienced they tend to branch out and add more sticks. Seems eventually most develop a taste for a lighter rod for specific applications...niche rods if you will. It seems to me that in this case you are trying to start with a niche rod and justify its use in other areas. That's all well and good, its your money and far be it from me to dissuade you....but in my head it makes more sense to start with a more traditional, all around type rod as Sean suggested and then get more specialized as you get more and more into it. IMO you could end up in a situation where you have a single rod that is not very suited to many situations.

11. Rick Sharp

Rick Sharp Member

I had that very Winston rod a couple of years ago, it was a great scandi rod and really liked a 400 skagit compact with light mows.

12. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

all 6 wts are not created equal. Some will happily throw bigger flies and moderately heavy tips.

13. Achilles

Achilles Member

6 weight is an excellent all around rod. My father has fished one for 30 years and had no problems with 10-20 pound steelhead and the occasional 15-25 pound salmon. He knows how to use the rod and I think he's just comfortable with it. Friends of mine up in BC swear by 5 weights for steelhead... Just depends on what you're comfortable with.

14. Bill McAllister

Bill McAllister New Member

Been trying to figure out what I can throw with the 13' 6wt Highlander S I just got. I am running skandi line and will definately will need more grain wait to get cone heads out of the water but moderately weighted flies are no problem.

15. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Fished my 6126 CPX all week. throwing 10 ft of t-11 and 5 inch articulated lead eye bunny leeches without issue. though i am not much of a caster.

16. orangeradish

orangeradish Bobo approved

If you get a lighter spey, and need a bigger one for the occasional OP trip, I can hook you up for the weekend. How was the concert?

17. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

Why not think about the fish first and use a rod appropriate to the conditions??????

18. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

A 12'6 6wt spey isnt exactly a low power rod when it comes to landing fish. its not any different then fighting them on a 9'0 8wt is it??

19. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

It's a bit different, but definitely heavier than a 6wt single hander. I personally won't chase winter fish with anything lighter than a 7wt spey

20. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

1306 S

I like a 420 compact scandi on mine, Bill. Will toss a 450ish skagit with grace and ease.
    I've fished 4" leadeye bunnies off the scandi, the skagit should handle more as long as you don't go wild with tip weight or length.
    My experience, for what it's worth.
    Bob