6 Weight Skagit Casting

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Connor H, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

Yes it is radically different... a good 9'8wt has a lot more power than a good 12'6wt due it shorter length and therefore better leverage.. There are even a fair number of 7wts that aren't up to the challenge of winter steelheading..

I guess my objection is to the philosophy of always wanting to use the lightest gear possible. In the day and age where our rivers close early due to lack of fish why would anyone do anything that could lengthen the time it takes to get a fish to the bank???

a very long fight with a steelhead on a fly rod should be 5 minutes this is true even for a large fish.. your gear should be able to turn a fish pretty much at will after the initial run... in short you should be able to horse them in after the first run...

for the fishes sake.

2. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I am going to have to agree with Rob on this one. A six weight is not a viable option this time of year and a seven weight can be on the small side as well. I am not saying you can not do it, but for the most part you are putting both you and the fish at risk. If you have a lot of experience fighting fish on a spey then this may not be the case, but you want every advantage you can get on the larger natives that show up this time of year. Two weeks ago I struggled to get a large native to the bank and fought it way longer then I feel comfortable doing. The hook ended up pulling out the second time I touched the leader. If I was using a stronger rod, I could have wore it out a bit more earlier in the fight and it would have been a bit easier to bank obviously benefiting both myself and the fish. I have landed quite a few large fish on seven weights, but in this case really wished I had a stronger spey to get it done right.

3. Bill McAllister

Bill McAllister New Member

Thanks for 420 grain weight help Speyspaz! I definately need more weight to pluck a conehead after finding perfect water this past weekend. I would not ever use this rod on the Hoh or Duc but there are others in this region with lower CFM's that would be perfect for this rod. I would definately compare this rods power to my 8wt. single's backbone with three feet extra shock length. I do agree that is really important to know your ability, gear and the fish that are in your home systems!

4. Connor H

Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Media:
    Alrighty now... The rod IS my summer stick. I might get a skagit head for it just to suit my own fancy. I'm not a nutcase that wants to chase 20 lb. steel with a light rod and massive amounts of chicken tied to a couple waddingtons. Guess if I head to the OP for winter fish I will just use my 9' 8 weight and nymph beads. The plan is to keep expanding on rods, and when I am ready for another, I will get a 13' 8 weight to chuck said chickens... Thanks to all with useful replies. And Jason, the concert was SICK. I was tone-deaf until 3 p.m. the next day, and drove home on 4 hours of sleep to go to work. Hope your sunday worked out for you! Tell the boy Happy Birthday for me!

5. longstick

longstick Member

Just get a 7126 TCX and call it good

6. Bill McAllister

Bill McAllister New Member

I just need a 6wt and an 8wt and I'm good. My daughter wants to go now so I guess it's time to start saving again!