6 year old boys and flyfishing

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by trailwalker, May 11, 2013.

1. trailwalker New Member

Ratings: +12 / 0
    Any ideas on how I should introduce this crazy obsession to my boy?
  2. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,237 / 0
    Small stream, lotsa small fish, skate dries. Can usually catch fish this way even without casting ability.
    Krusty likes this.
  3. trailwalker New Member

When should I steer him toward the chrome.
  4. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +956 / 1
    Sunday after church would be a good time, unless you have free time this evening.

But of course you could always observe what I term "streamside services" a non-denominational service.
  5. trailwalker New Member

Yeah man. Lovit. Is got a sorta river runs throug it kind of flavor. Since gear fishing is not spoken of in our home I'm afraid a 14' two handed would be a bit much for a 6 year old
  6. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,016 / 1
    I started my son when he was 3 but I could tell early on that it was not going to be his thing and now at 6 he could take it or leave it. I've pulled out all the tricks; made sure that the fishing would be fast and furious, plenty of snacks, decent weather, let him control the boat, let him cast, let him reel in every fish (although he prefers to net), etc... I'm beginning to believe that it is something he'll do with me from time to time but it will likely not be the obsession that is for me. I'm prepared for that and I'll engage with what he is into but my biggest fear is that my 17 month old will be way into it like me, how will the older boy not feel ostracized?

Good luck!
    dbfly likes this.
  7. Bill Aubrey Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    Let him dunk a worm while you are fly fishing. He'll feel left out and demand to try it. And then you'll spend your time tying on his flies and releasing his fish. :)
  8. Nathan Weston Member

Bellingham, WA
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    My guy just turn seven last week and he's been fly fishing with me for years. Small stream with no trees or brush around will make life fare easier for you and your son. Check out the Echo practice rod. It was a big help. Albright has a great line of kids waders for under 50 buck. We just go to the Goodwill and by kids hiking boots three sizes larger for wading boots.
    Just remember life jacket, be very patient and bring snacks.

Good luck

Nathan
  9. JE Active Member

Great NW
    Ratings: +50 / 0
    Put him in your lap with your pontoon boat. Drag buggers around a stocker lake within first 3 weeks after opening day. Keep a side pocket full of tootsie rolls. 40 minutes max.
    Lugan likes this.
  10. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +620 / 0
    I suggest you look up Brad Befus, of Ross Reels. He wrote a great book /dvd, with his wife, on fly fishing with kids. And several other books. He is also a noted fly tier. There is a lot of good information there. Six is not too young, depending upon the person. But keep it simple and fun, and safe. Look him up at amazon. "A Kids Guide To Fly Fishing"
  11. Matt Roelofs Member

B'ham, WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Listen to this guy...I hear his son is even outfishing him these days ;)

My own experience with my boys (now 7 and 9) is similar. We've had some great times out on hot summer days floating a local lake for panfish. The bluegill tend to be eager and provide lots of positive feedback.
  12. Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Doo-vall
    Ratings: +412 / 0
    Actually, it was Tyler Befus who authored the book (with significant input from his pappy, Bad). It's a great book!
  13. Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

auburn,wa
    Ratings: +75 / 8
    Just take him with you make him feel like one of the boys be patience either he will like it or not my son could not wait until week end to go fishing or camping with us
  14. Nathan Weston Member

Bellingham, WA
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    Thanks Matt,
    Trevor kicked my ass last night. Not only did he catch three fish to my one, his were bigger and he was running the trolling motor.

Nathan
  15. wyofly Active Member

NW Wyoming
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    I bought an inexpensive 7' 2wt and used 4wt line. The combo has worked well for several of my grandchildren.
  16. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +595 / 0
    An excellent approach....getting them first catching fish on a fly in a productive small stream instead of turning them off to flyfishing by initially focusing on the often frustrating art of learning to cast on bigger water.

Now that I think about it, that's what my old man did with me, half a century ago....and got me hooked.

One thing to remember though; when they get to be teenagers, and discover the opposite sex, you're probably going to be losing a fishing buddy for awhile (maybe a long while)!
  17. TonyZ Member

Vancouver, WA
    I got my boy a float tube (craigslist $25) when he was 5, a good life jacket and some kids waders http://www.oakiwear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8. I started out by tethering him to me on the lakes, now that he is 7, he kicks himself all over the pond with the Walmart flippers. A spinning rod, a rooster tail with 2 of the 3 hooks cut off (less likely to impale the tube) got him hooked on the sport. He also has a 7'6" 4wt fly rod; and in the tube, no need to worry about hanging up on the back cast.

Most important, get him out as much as possible. I would say a good 80% of my fishing is now done with the boy child a long side. My fish production has dropped tending to his needs (line tangles, hook tying, lunch, etc) but I am rewarded in so many more ways with him with me I don't mind at all.

We also spend a good amount of time wade fishing small streams around the county. A good dry fly and a decent roll cast will get a fish on time time. We pack MREs (GI Joe Food as he calls it) and his $20 hydration cycling backpack from Costco (almost a full size pack on him). The MRE is an adventure to him in itself, it's always different variations of contents, and he gets to build a small fire to boil water for hot coacoa and my coffee, most of the time if his has matches. Say what you want about the MRE, but when I started bringing them; no more soggy or smashed lunches.

Good on you for wanting your kid to get into the sport. Get him out, and enjoy the time. See you on the water
  18. Fishlikeyoumeanit New Member

Ratings: +6 / 0
    If the fish are hitting, clip your hook and let him out-fish you! Good luck. Enjoy.