Columbus Day shrooms and quail

Upton O

Blind hog fisherman
Nice bag and blast. Have you trained your dog to hunt the mushrooms, too, like they do truffles? She probably can't figure out why you'd want to gather those when there are birds in the area. Great post.

ribka

Well actually the two areas are over 70 miles apart but cannot divulge the mushroom area. Would rather give up my secret pirate treasure map than a mushroom hot spot!!

Scott Salzer

previously micro brew
I was expecting to see a last picture of dem quails in a nice chantrelle sauce.

Am I mistaken on Boletus, but don't some people have a reaction and other people not have a reaction? Sure wish I know shrooms better, about all I trust myself with are morels and chantrelles - but that is some good eating?

Oh yeah, nice looking dog too.

MB

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Nicely done, rib! I trust myself to gather Morels & Chantrelles, but no others. You have the makings of a fine meal there. How was Wyoming?

boletus can be a bit trickier to ID. Some people hae weird reactions to a variety of 'shrooms. Shaggy manes, chicken of the woods, and morels have all illicited reactions to people I know

andrew

Nice! A coworker of mine hits some wild mushroom society gathering every Monday evening by UW...everyone is welcome and they will identify and classify a find. Gave him some big white shrooms that have been popping up in the yard...was curious since I have a one year old that will put anything in his mouth...turned out to be very toxic. Time to get the Ortho out!

Curious how is the chukar numbers this year I have not heard much chatter about the devil bird?

ribka

I always bring a friend who is very experienced in ID of shrooms.

I did some research and froze the chantrelles and boletus. Saute in some butter or oil for 10-15 to release moisture, place on cookie sheets, allow to cool and place in freezer bags. Worked out well

ribka

Nicely done, rib! I trust myself to gather Morels & Chantrelles, but no others. You have the makings of a fine meal there. How was Wyoming?
Shot a decent buck and purchased extra doe tags for the ranch I was hunting. Spent last weekend making sausage and jerky from all of the meat