Carrying firearms while fishing

I don't carry because I've seen what a gun can do up close and personal. I wonder how many of you guys have. I think a lot of guys who carry do it because it looks "good". If you're afraid to go there then stay home. If you're going to carry, then you'd better be prepared to use it and suffer the consequences after.
I knew there was something I i liked about you Steve.

Here's my question: How many of you firearm enthusiasts have ever heard a shot fired at humans? I am a marine corps combat veteran, and if I thought I needed the kind of lethal force I hear described by "recreating adults" to go fishing, I wouldn't go.

Having seen the amount of training and mental conditioning it takes to operate a weapon efficiently in a stressful situation, with all due respect, a few hours on the pistol range will not make you a Mitchell Paige.

If you are ever in a situation in which you actually have to pull one of those handguns, please don't shoot yourselves. It's easier to do than to hit an aggressor who doesn't want to be shot.

Lugan

Joe Streamer
Here's my question: How many of you firearm enthusiasts have ever heard a shot fired at humans? I am a marine corps combat veteran, and if I thought I needed the kind of lethal force I hear described by "recreating adults" to go fishing, I wouldn't go. Having seen the amount of training and mental conditioning it takes to operate a weapon efficiently in a stressful situation, with all due respect, a few hours on the pistol range will not make you a Mitchell Paige.
This annual discussion always has a wise and experienced comment or two like Don's that cause me to hold off on buying a handgun. For now I "pack" Kimber Pepper Blaster instead (comes out in a blob instead of mist, so it works against the wind better). Though mine doesn't look like a gay pink gun: http://www.pepperspraycenter.com/bu...-kimber-pepper-spray-gun-guardian-angel-p-326

Status Update.

This thread is almost complete.

1 We have the combat vet who believes any one but someone who has already shot someone will accidentally shoot themselvs.
2 We have the guy from alaska who carries
3 We have the guy from alaska who doesn't carry
4 We have been told to join the nra.
5 The WA open carry laws have been posted
6 We've determined tweakers are more dangerous than bears.
7 We've determined that we're all a bunch of pussies that couldn't fight a tweaker.

Now all we need to finish this thread is
8 Someone to tell us what needs to be changed about current gun laws
9 About 15 more personal insults
10 A true story about someone getting attacked.

We might wrap this one up in record time this year. :rofl:

KerryS

Ignored Member
We are short about 5 pages to complete this topic.

Your suggestions are good BJG but, what we truly need to complete this thread is Coach Duff telling us that none here are capable of handling a firearm in a crisis situation and if we were lucky we might walk away with only our pants being full of crap.

Lugan

Joe Streamer
What ever happened to Coach Duff? I mean, I know he moved to Hawaii and was trying to become a bonefish guide. But he was still active here and then *poof* -- disappeared.

Your suggestions are good BJG but, what we truly need to complete this thread is Coach Duff telling us that none here are capable of handling a firearm in a crisis situation and if we were lucky we might walk away with only our pants being full of crap.
I give it 5 posts. The "Duffer" will be replaced. There are plent of vets and leos out there that will school everyone about how they are the only people on the planet capable of using a gun when it is needed. The pitch......

Lugan

Joe Streamer
...grenades for when the fish aren't biting...
My dad and his family were WWII refugees (from Lithuania) living in refugee camps in the US-held part of Germany roughly 1945-1947. He was a pre-teen, and he and his friends occasionally used grenades to catch fish for food. Everyone was starving, so it was a necessity, and munitions were very easy to find. He did see a kid blow himself up once though, and that haunted him his whole life.

Anyway, I think I'll carry an RPG instead. It seems safer.

I have more guns than most of you might have. I just love 'em. Handguns, shotguns, rifles, black guns, you name it. I never pack when I'm fishing. But then I don't fish moving water, mostly lakes. The damn thing would be poking me in the side...
I have been shooting since I was six. Raised in the sticks. Never have owned a handgun. Have my share of shotguns and rifles. Can't imagine carrying a gun while fishing.

steelydan

Newb seeking wisdom
It has nothing to do with being "macho". If I have to use lethal force to defend myself or loved ones, that is the decision I have to make, regardless of "baggage".
Perfectly said.
I really don't see it being a choice.
I'd rather spend a few yrs in the klink than the rest of my life knowing I could have done more.
Simplifies it for me....

steelydan

Newb seeking wisdom

Exactly what I was thinking!
Hilarious!

i personally dont want extra weight holding me down while i am fishing and if i need to protect myself ill punch a tweaker in the face and I would never take my very attractive daughters, lovers or friends fishing, beutiful people belong in the city for people to look at. My ugly friends can fend for themselves. This thread should be renamed to "Learn how to punch a crackhead square in the nose"

Lugan

Joe Streamer
i personally dont want extra weight holding me down while i am fishing and if i need to protect myself ill punch a tweaker in the face and I would never take my very attractive daughters, lovers or friends fishing, beutiful people belong in the city for people to look at. My ugly friends can fend for themselves. This thread should be renamed to "Learn how to punch a crackhead square in the nose"
...or carry a throwing axe and wear a viking helmet, as previously suggested.