New term

ralfish

Is there a problem with having terms to differentiate line systems for the multitudes of different applications?

So rather than having terms that define what the thing is , its better to just call it: fly line?

''Whatcha using?'' ''Fly line'' .....hmmm

Bob Jones

Still truckless now farther away
Well come back Jim. Sorry I hadn't known you were gone so I didn't miss you!!!! Mumbles did though. couldn't stop talking about it yesterday/

KerryS

Ignored Member
Is there a problem with having terms to differentiate line systems for the multitudes of different applications?

So rather than having terms that define what the thing is , its better to just call it: fly line?

''Whatcha using?'' ''Fly line'' .....hmmm
Home made short bellied line for an 8124. Sorry, I can't come up with a snappy marketing term for it.

Ed Call

I've got two Skandits from Steve Godshall. I don't give a damn what the marketing calls it, the line works for me on my rod. There is a taper differnce between a Double Taper, Weight Forward, Rocket Taper, Steelhead Taper, Extreme Rocket Taper, Skagit, Scandi, Long belly and all kinds of other stuff. It is just a word, is it that skanditlous to have a new term introduced into fly fishing? We get a handful of new terms each year, we can keep up with that I'd think.

I don't own a skandit system one but if I can say "skandit" and another angler knows what I am trying to articulate is "line system consisting of a skagit head looped to a weight-balanced, tapered floating head matched to the skagit head so that I can easily swap out tips for light polyleaders for touch-n-go casting without having to change heads or spools", then I'm all for the simplicity of the term.

No different than the use of the term "skagit" to express "short heavy shooting head with little or no taper which enables casting of the very heavy sink tips needed to more easily turn over large, weighted flies".

It's just part our natural semantic proclivity to abbreviate for efficiency (or laziness, take your pick). Marketeers certainly take advantage but the same thing occurs outside commercial use. It's particularly crazy in Japanese were they make up all sorts of new terms just for the sack of abbreviation.

KerryS

Ignored Member
Perhaps you nailed it Thomas. It all has gone to technical for me. I wasn't really all that enamored with the term "Skagit" for lines and some sort of casting when it first came about. I even seen a pontoon boat named "Skagit" in the Cabela's catalog. It wasn't that long ago if you didn't live in NW Wa or didn't fish for steelhead (or maybe a logger) you likely never heard of the Skagit. Oh well, time marches on. I will stick to my no name home made lines for the most part and let the rest deal with all the new fangled stuff with the meaningless marketing terms. Its your money anyway.

LD

Call it what you want, but the question is does it work or not??? They come out with new fly rods, cars, reels, etc .................... Not because we need them but because they are trying to sell something. Skandit a marketing term or just felt that it was enough different that is needed its own name?
I purchased a 14' 7/8 deer creek last spring. I was getting the usual opnions about lines 540, 570, etc. It can be somewhat frustrating to dial in a rod and line. We do not have the benefit of the free clinics on the east side to help. After seeing the reviews and thinking who better to talk to about a line than the guy that designed the rod and for the same price as an off the shelf line. I called Bob and talked to him for a while and ordered one. Has taken me a while to get the casting down, but it does match the rod very well. I had to make one call and got dialed in, no messing around with buying/trying different lines. I have mostly fished dry line on the Clearwater so do not know how it works with sink tips or weighted flies, so will have to see. But what ever it is called I am happy with the purchase.

It's as if you think people bought it because they saw the name. "Oh snap, SKANDIT!,,....I gots to get me some of that". I'm guessing that most folks that use it knew/learned about the taper, tips, custom length, etc. before they bought. I know I didn't buy it because of the name. I can't understand why a name ruffles your feathers. You're right though, it is my money, and I was happy to exchange it for that product.

KerryS

Ignored Member
It's as if you think people bought it because they saw the name. "Oh snap, SKANDIT!,,....I gots to get me some of that". I'm guessing that most folks that use it knew/learned about the taper, tips, custom length, etc. before they bought. I know I didn't buy it because of the name. I can't understand why a name ruffles your feathers. You're right though, it is my money, and I was happy to exchange it for that product.
Yeah, thats it. Thanks for clearing up my head.

It is better to sell something intangible than it is to actually sell a product. If you sell something that is extremly rare then it will be much harder to duplicate. Do what the other guy can't or make them think they can't. Either way it sells better.

SpeySpaz

still an authority on nothing
No, the guys with the DT lines were saying, "my back hurts", "hand me the anesthetic, I needs me a swig", and "gee, wish I had a lighter rod so this steelhead could actually fight".

Kerry, your "ol' curmudgeon" persona is evolving nicely. Two thumbs up bro.