NFR: And now wolves in the Teanaway drainage

Outright BS of the biggest kind. There has been 1 documented case of a wolf attack in North America in well over a hundred years. That was a starving animal on one of the Gulf Islands in Canada. Ignorance, not science is the greatest threat to wolves and all other wildlife.
I guess you can take it up with the person that went through that experience. I don't know him to be a liar and he was hunting in a remote place in Idaho. You might want to get out of the house once in awhile and breathe in some fresh air. It will do you some good.

Quick note and something that I found fascinating - not to hijack the thread.... Dogs and wolves are actually two separate gene pools DNA and fossil records indicate that the early domestic dogs - those that hung around our campfires and garbage dumps when we had lower brows and higher imaginations - are significantly different than wolves. From those early domestic dogs we twisted them into things like little decorative lap dogs.

So while re introduced wolves may have been selected based on a propensity for having large litters, they are not dogs. Nor do I think that they were genetically altered. Also Google domestic Russian silver fox - or something like that. It should lead you to a really insightful experiment regarding domestication that has been ongoing for decades.
Wolves and domestic dogs are from common ancestors. Canines are highly mutatable. Without going into too much detail, SINEC_Cf DNA gets copied into RNA which then gets copied back into DNA then that DNA then sticks itself back into the dog genome. If it lands in the right spot, it's instant noticable mutation. If I am not mistaken canines have the highest rate of mutation of all carnivores. It's impossible to trace the origin of the first domestic dogs from fossil records since a new breed from a single bitch could be made in a single litter if you hit the mutation lottery. IE the first canine pair ever to exist on earth could have had a first litter of completly different looking breeds.

It doesnt matter if the cle-elum wolves are re-introduced or from a different stock that is not native. They will quickly change into their own stock that is suited for that area in a few generations anyway. Look at the difference between a Whidbey Island and Juanita coyotes. They look like two different animals.

Also, forget who the poster was, but wolves will kill in mass and leave uneaten carcases. It's the internal organs that they are after. That is where the most nutrition that they need is found.

Why did this deteriorate into Liberals vs Conservatives? Can't we stick to the issue or subject as it were...? Remember? It's wolves in the Cascades...jeez...
Good idea. I vote for a .38 Smith & Wesson. That way, I can rest assured knowing that after I get killed by a grizzly bear, what is left of my carcass will be scavenged by a pack of vicious blood thirsty wolves.

gt

quick, get yur wep-pons, we is all headed for yellowstone country to shoot us some b'ars, heard one got a human, time fur revenge...........

bitterroot

Love vintage graphite!
quick, get yur wep-pons, we is all headed for yellowstone country to shoot us some b'ars, heard one got a human, time fur revenge...........
Ya, let's make light of the fact that a guy was just mauled and killed by a bear in Yellowstone. Very tacky!

gt

the irony of it all bitterroot. any time an apex predator is involved, the knee jerk from the jerks is kill'um all. in reality, its most likely a small number or ranchers who may be impacted. you know the ones who figure they can free range their stock on land owned by you and me at next to no cost. the same ones for whom mitigation already exists. just another loop hole tax break for a few that the wolves, bears and who knows what else, will help to close, only seems fair.

and the guy in yellowstone? when you enter the domain of any apex predator, you need to assume the risks. same with my friend who was mauled by a brownie while fishing for salmon in AK. then of course, the guy in the ONP who died from being gored by a mountain goat. yah just never know now do'yah bitterroot.

bitterroot

Love vintage graphite!
Yep, ya never know. Still no reason to make light of a tragic situation for that man and his family. I stand by my earlier comment...tacky.

ribka

According to an article in the Seattle times (Feb 2010?)...yes. There was a story about how Elk in the ONP (not the cascades) were overgrazing due to the lack of predators (wolves) and causing certain types of vegetation to become far more rare than they should be thus degraging streamside vegetation.

WOLVES ARE A NATURAL PART OF OUR ECOSYSTEM. FACT
Of course the unbiased Seattle Times would never have a political agenda

No hunting allowed in ONP just like Yellowstone. So introduce wolves their numbers will escalate and kill 80% of the elk herd and moose just like in Yellowstone and start spreading to other parts of the state. How can you introduce a predator like the wolf with NO management plan??

Many on here have alluded to returning the West to a natural state before man and ending hunting. Let the apex predators ( wolves, bear, cats) control the pops of elk deer, moose sheep. How many of you are for returning rivers and lakes to their natural states and banning the fishing for native trout , salmon and steelhead?

the vast majority of the elk killed by wolves are not even eaten, they are like gangsters out thrill killing. only in this case they are protected and celebrated for it. i wont hesitate to triple S.