6wt Fly Lines for SRC/Coho - Help Please

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jeff Dodd, Dec 28, 2005.

1. I'm considering a multi-tip line for use on my 6wt. St. Croix Legend SW rod. So far I've looked at SA and Rio.

While browsing ebay, I saw a discontinued Rio multi (3) tip line for auction that might work, but thought I'd ask the board for advice before I bid.

The auction is for Rio brand striper/salmon 7 wt. line with 3 tip sections. (The seller said it's been discontinued for a couple years).

1. Does anyone use/remember this line and have feedback on it?

2. Also, the stripper line comes with only 3 15' tips, none of which are floating. This is a little disappointing, as the idea of fishing poppers for SRC sounds fun. (Does this defeat the purpose of having multi tip line?)

3. Finally, how much more difficult is it to cast a 15' multi-tip line. I'm new enough at this sport that this concerns me.

Read Les' book and fly line selection appears simple, until you try picking one!

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Jeff

2. I was new to salt this year and thought about going with a multi tip. I didn't though I bought the Rio outbound had have been very very pleased with it.:thumb:

3. Jeff, I have a set of Rio tips that I have used for salmon. (I also have a set of Airflo tips) They are good if you are wading long distances and can't carry additional rods and/or reels. Also, the 15 foot heads work fine for the water I choose to fish. As always a guy should consider how/where something will be used when selecting gear. A few years ago, I had a nice Chum on but he wasn't nice to my fly line. He pulled it through some rocks and the head had to be replaced. I believe I purchased it at my local fly shop though as I said it has been a few years. I am satisfied with the way the multi-tip lines cast but I am currently trying to find something with which I can "half spey". The multi-tips I have now don't allow me to do that very easily. Line manufacturers are making more and more new, specialized products. The manufacturer will be able to tell you if they have a floating head for that particular set up. You mentioned that you have a 6 wt but that the auction is for a 7 wt. That may be a concern. Good luck.

Here is the contact information for Rio

RIO Products Intl, Inc.
    5050 S.Yellowstone Highway
    Idaho Falls, Idaho 83402
    Telephone 208-524-7760 * FAX 208-524-7763
    Email: general@rioproducts.com

4. Thank you both for the feedback/advice.

Since posting, the seller of the ebay Rio line told me that the main body of the line he has for auction is not floating, but rather a intermediate sinking line.

I don't have the collection of quality fly rods that many on this board may have, so I'm trying to use my one good 6wt. rod/reel for as many types of water I can.

5. I have used a Rio tip system with a floating main line in the salt and I have also used the striper line in a 7-weight for my 6-weight RPLXi that is my primary Puget Sound rod. The floater fell apart after a few seasons in the salt and since I only fished the intermediate tip I went with the striper line this year to try it out. My big complaints are that:

1. The line will sink and get tangled around my feet at times. I don't like to use stripping baskets unless I'm in the surf and with this line it is probably needed.
    2. When the coho are up porpoising on the surface for euphosids the line gets down a little too far for me and I end up sticking a full floater on for those times.

The line has held up much better than the floater did, after a year it looks brand new, but I think when I need a new one I'm gonig back to a floating main line with a tip system.

Tim

6. If you want to fish the puget sound get a rio outbound line, it has a much longer clear head then the versatip, it is also designed as a shooting head so you can do less false casting, when you're fishing the saltwater you make a lot more casts then you do fishing a river, you will feel the difference after 3 or 4 hours of nonstop casting. The outbound line design was influenced in part by the guys at puget sound fly company, specifically for beach fishing in the puget sound, it's a great lake line to. Also can't go wrong with just a full clear aqualux line. You wont find a lot of SRC or resident cohos in really deep water in the middle of the sound. Most of your fishing is going to be done in pretty shallow water from the beach or casting to the beach from a boat, clear lines are perfect for this.

Another drawback about getting a versatip on a 5 or 6wt is that the guides are a little smaller then say an 8 or 9wt, this bugs me when pulling the loop to loop connections through the guides, sometimes it will get hungup while casting.

I like the striper lines in the pacific or out at neah bay when I want to get down fast, I use these for bucktailing for salmon and fishing for rockfish and lingcod, they're a very durable line. I think they're just too heavy and sink too fast to be used for the more delicate fishing that the puget sound requires. You'll find yourself on the bottom awefully fast, so to compensate you'll have to strip really fast all the time, which is silly.

7. You only need two lines for fishing the beaches for searun cutthroat and salmon. A full floater and an intermediate sink line (slimeline). For longer distance casting in the fall for returning coho, the Rio Outbound is unsurpassed, but the full floater will work just as well only not as far.

Leland.

8. Get the versitip system. It casts fine, even with the type vi and a heavy fly. Plus, you have a nice sized rod for swinging streamers on the Yakima, or for lake fishing. I've caught many trout trolling buggers and leeches on the type six tip.

Tom

9. Jeff, as I understand your situation, you have one rod and reel, a 6wt. St. Croix Legend SW rod, and want to be able to do all your fishing with it; makes sense to me. Here's my 2 cents:

If you are fishing the salt beaches for SRC and resident Coho, a Rio Versitip will give you a wide range of fishing opportunities, but I couldn't live without a dry line. You could buy a separate dry tip that will attach to the loop of the running line, but then why not buy a matching set; Rio Versitips go on sale fairly regularly on ebay, and you should be able to pick a full set up for 80-90 bucks; for me they cast better than the SA Mastery series tips. Using tips makes you more versatile with the gear you've got, but you do make compromises whenever you get into a one size fits all.

I am not familiar with how a 6wt St. Croix Legend feels with a 7wt line on it, so that's a call by you with how the rod does when over lined; personally, my rods come to life when over lined and I like it.

If you are fishing from a boat, Ibn's got the score card right on that; and everybody loves the Rio Outbound for distance casting.

One way to go is to have two spools, one lined with an outbound, the second with versitips. That will take care of the majority of your beach situations. As you start chasing after different species, or fishing from a boat, you'll find your fishing needs change and you'll not want to compromise that tips require, so you will want to add more specialty lines to be more effective. Still, tips gets you into the game for the lowest amount of money. Good luck.

10. Hi, guys my first real post. Love all the info. I have an 8 wt. set-up for salmon with the Rio versa-tip. I like it, but since I'm new to fly fishing I don't know any better. I just bought a 6 wt. TFO ticr that I will be setting up for SRC, either from the beach or shallow with the boat. What line would you suggest with just SRC fishing in mind?

Thanks keep it tight

11. I'm in agreement with Ibn on the Outbound. Another option is the Airflo Forty Plus.

If you're just going for an all-around line for SRC and coho, either the Outbound or Forty Plus in clear intermediate will fit your needs best, I think. Slime lines were the only option a few years ago (unless you wanted to splice your own shooting head) but I think they've been superceded by the Rio and Airflo in terms of handling and ease of casting longer distances.

About the floater--let me ask you this: How often do you think you'll be using a popper? If it's a lot, you could buy a floating Outbound and buy a clear intermediate sinking Poly Leader. Both Airflo and Climax make them and would be a decent compromise for you. If you're not too serious about the popper thing, stick with the intermediate.

12. Been using the Rio Outbound for my 6 wt in the salt. You can get a lot line out and plenty of depth.

13. As stated earlier in the thread, unless you really want to fish a popper or a dry all the time I'd get a clear line of some sort. Some will argue that a floating line with a long leader and a weighted fly works for sub-surface. They're right, you will catch fish like that, but to me that's kinda like hammering in a nail with a screwdriver, if you're going to fish sub-surface use a line that's intended for that style.

I've got nothing against fishing poppers or on the surface, it's really fun to see fish take on the surface, I just prefer to fish subsurface. I think I catch more fish that way. It's really a personal prefrence for each angler.

14. Thanks for the the replies. Rio outbound it is. If I want to try the popper thing I'll use my 8 wt. versa tip. If I like it I'll pick up a spare spool for my 6 wt, and throw a floater on it.

Thanks a bunch. Dan L

15. I leaning towards the outbound to start, and then getting a second spool filled with either a floater or some sort of multi tip line.

This board is a great resource!

Thank you,
    Jeff

16. can't find the 'outbound' on the rio web site. is this the same as the 'aqualux'??

17. I have the Outbound Intermediate on one spool and the Outbound Floater on another. The floating line has the same shooting head construction and it flies. Leland Miyawaki proclaimed last summer that he wasn't used to casting his popper and being unable to see it as he started striping. Be sure to stretch these lines well when you get started. Good fishing, Steve

18. found it :eek:

19. Yeah! As steve pointed out, stretch your line before you start casting, this is very important. If you're fishing from the beach a stripping basket is key to. Even in a boat a basket is pretty handy, line managment can be very frustrating in the salt because you really want to cast as far as you can, and you shoot more line then you would on a river so you tend to have a lot of slack line pilling up if you don't have a basket.

20. My saltwater floating line of choice is an SA or Rio Salmon/Steelhead line, or a Cortland Wind Taper. They work well in cold water, have long, stout front tapers for delaying turnover of bulky flies or poppers, have a long rear taper for very easy pickup and redirection and they readily accept an appropriate length of Cortland LS8 or Rio T-8 if you need a tip. My other go-to line is a clear or clear camo intermediate sinker. I rarely need anything else. For chinook I go to an integrated fast-sinking head like the Depth Charge, Quick Descent, Streamer Express or Striper line when conditions demand. These lines get down and with the intermediate running line they stay deep on retrieve.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson