7 1/2' 5 wt

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by FLGator, Feb 20, 2007.

1. FLGator

FLGator Member

Hoping someone has first hand experience with one of the 7 1/2' 5 wt class blanks and can offer a recommendation. My brother lives back in NC and thinks he has settled on this length and wt for his first build.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

2. SuperDave

SuperDave New Member

Without knowing the type of water and fish your bro intends to target it is difficult to make a sggestion. If it is his only rod, a 7 1/2' 5 weight is a tad light by western standards. Why a 5 weight?

If your bro is going to fish from a toob or 'tune, a 7 1/2 footer is too short, IMO; a longer rod, say 9', would more suitable.

SuperDave

3. FLGator

FLGator Member

SuperDave,
    My understanding is that a lot of the fishing he will be doing is in super tight quarters that require tight loops and pinpoint accuracy. Also, he will be fishing dropper rigs as well as nymphing and targeting some pretty decent size brown trout in the surrounding area.

My original recommendation to him was a Sig V 9' 4 wt based on the same rational you have. However, many experienced Southeastern fishermen are sold on the shorter 4/5 wt for a significant majority of their angling. This type of rod 'fits' their waters, methods and fish.

Personally, I have no experience with the shorter rods and couldn't make any recommendations based on my knowledge so I was hoping someone here might be able to chime in with some first hand experience.

Take care,
    Chris

4. SuperDave

SuperDave New Member

Then I'd listen to the advice of the locals who fish the type of water that you bro' will. A nice fast-action 5 weight might be just the ticket but only 7 1/2 feet would be more of a '"crick" rod IMO.

You might suggest that yor bro' cast a 7 1/2 and a longer rod to evaluate which he prefers on the type of water he will be fishing. Better to do that than do a build of an inappropriate rod.

Having fished in the Carolinas I can tell you that conditions are very different than here in the western US.

SuperDave