7-23-06 report and Q?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Dave Boyle, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Dave Boyle Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    Hi All,

I'm newbie to the board and managed my first trip out to the salt this Sat this year (families.................:) Anyway went to a local beach in Seattle and the tide was ebbed way out, further than I'd ever seen it on this particular beach. Anway, went over most of it with a popper which didn't bring up anything and I hadn't seen anything moving. The tide started to come in and I chaged over to a pink/white clouser. Within about 10 minutes I started catching a load of flounders, it's odd because until then I'd never caught one on the fly! (Moved here from Scotland about 4 yrs ago). Ended up getting around 20. I don't know if it was the size of the tide (i.e. fishing water that is usually not reached from the shore), time of yr or what. I've fished this beach a lot in past 2 years at all stages of the tide and never caught any flounders. Cutts yes, sculpin yes, salmon LDR, even a crab but no flounder. Weird. Anyway the cutts were finally in evedince but way out I' d see the odd smallish fish whizz out but always around 150 ft out. There were bigger fish constantly jumping still further out, typically around 200-300 ft and I wasn't sure if these were sockeye heading towards Ballard or silvers. What'd you think? Some of the more experienced/knowledgeable members may shed some light on this. If they're sockeye then it'd won't bug me as much. As for the remainder of the report, toss in a couple of sculpin, only saw 2 other people till the hordes descended at ~9.30 am so all in all a great first morning back out in the salt.

Dave
  2. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Sounds like a good day on the water DB. But hey, I heard all you lads from Scotland could cast 2-300'? you should be able to cast to those risers! :clown:

The fish you saw likely were resident Coho or Coastal Cutthroat; there probably was a tide seam they were working. Go to the same beach at different tide levels, and you will probably see the that the tide seam varies its distance from the beach depending on its phase; when it's close enough to cast to, you're in the money. Flat fish usually occupy sand or mud bottoms, and not usually good habitat for SeaRuns, which seem to prefer rocky, stony bottoms. A faster strip of your clouser, less heavy line tip, or using a lighter clouser, will put you higher in the water column and away from the flatfish, though they do tend to fight rather nicely and happily break the monotony on otherwise fishless mornings. Also, exceptionally large tides seem to be less favorable for fly fishing than more moderate tides. You might try the first two hours of the outgoing tide, especially very early a.m.; the coho tend to go to deeper water as light gets brighter.
  3. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +490 / 0
    SD laid down sound logic.....Flounders...Have always caught on gear/bait....usually raw bacon...many years ago for me. You might just have a nice fly for them. :)
  4. martyg Active Member

The world at large
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    I tend to ctach a decent number of Flounder - how are they are table fare?
  5. Tony Tony

Lynnwood Wa
    Ratings: +49 / 0
    For some reason not sure why but flounders and sculpins seem to love pink and white clousers perhaps the color but more likely the jigging action even though I don't catch as many with green clousers. There are lots of people that eat flounder but I would be wary, being a bottom fish they are sure to hold high levels of toxins.
    tony
  6. Jim Kerr Active Member

Forks Wa
    Ratings: +138 / 0
    Mostly what we catch along the beach are sand dabs( a kind of flounder) they can be wormy as hell, but if you find clean ones you can get a couple of softish skinny fillets off them, it aint ling cod. Starry flounder are bigger and much better fighters, but still not great table fare.