7 or 8 weight line for 7/8wt rod?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by finnfisher, Aug 18, 2006.

1. finnfisher Risto

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I am thinking about getting a RIO Outbound Intermediate for my Redington 7/8wt rod. Should I get a 7wt line or and 8wt? I want to be able to use it both from the beach and in the river. Is there a line that shoots as well that is multi tip?
  2. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +530 / 0
    Rio Anadronmous is supposedly a great shooting line too. Several have raved about it :) While I have not tried this line I do have the Cortland 444SL multi-tip line and it is a fine line/ shoots well and is 99.00 bucks.

Several of the newer lines coming out are made for today's fast action rods..the redingtons are generally considered med or med/fast action except perhaps the CPS.
  3. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Finn: the RIO Outbound Intermediate line is superior for beach fishing, which is what it is designed for. Frankly, I didn't like it at first; it took a few outings to get used to, but now I absolutely love it, and booming out casts with one or two back casts is the norm.

I would consider Outbound a specialty line, and river fishing was not its design goal. For rivers, due to its 37 ft sinking head it just does not mend well. I have tried it on the Methow, and its way to much head for practical use, at least for medium-small size rivers.

I've never cast the Reddington 7/8, so cannot tell you what weight works best with it. I frequently over-line my rods by one weight; on the advice of my local fly shop pro, confirmed by the knowledgeable folks on this board, I did not with the Outbound, and am glad that I didn't as the line fully loads a medium fast rod at its AFTMA rating.

I have both the SA Mastery (6wt) and the Rio tip (8 wt) systems, and the Rio turns over for me much better than the SA. Neither cast as well as an integrated sink tip. In either case, you're trading off ease of casting for versatility. If I'm going to be casting all day for salmon or steelhead, I want an integrated sink tip. If I am trout fishing and wading the river all day, changing up to accommodate different depth and speed of water without carrying extra spools is a nice option to have, and a tip system allows you to do that. Choices choices. :confused:
  4. Surf_Candy Member

Bainbridge Island, WA.
    I have an issue with the anadromous - the welded loop to loop connection at the running line/head portion hangs up really hard in my guides (very frustrating). I am looking at adding some pliobond to the joint, or cutting their welded loops off and adding my own. Just an FYI.

Surf
  5. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    It's that way with pretty much any welded loops; from time to time, depending on the length of the cast, they tend to hang up at the tip.

The braided loops don't hang up, but they aren't as stiff, and can collapse at times if you try to 'cast' the line rather than shoot it.

But with the tip systems, you get so much flexibility and options with one spool relative to the single integrated head line.

There is no perfect solution!
  6. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Which model Redington? That will affect the answer.:thumb:
  7. finnfisher Risto

Bothell, WA
    It is just a Crosswater, medium action. Nothing very fancy but it casts ok. (At least until I have something better to compare to!:thumb: )
  8. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +333 / 2
    I'd go with the 7. I think the line runs a triffle heavy anyway and if you're after distance, you will be carrying more line in the air more often. I don't like over lined rods unless we're talking about fishing in tight quarters like brushy streams, and we're not.
  9. Don Freeman Free Man

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +219 / 0
    Many of the newer lines (Rio 'Grand' for one) will state that they are made for fast action rods. A 7 weight line actually performs like a 7.5, and this isn't unusual when you are talking performance rather than what it says on the box.

Take your rod to your local shop and get a reccomendation. They may even have a demo or class line in each size that you may test cast. Casting is a pretty soft science so just go with what you like.
  10. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    If you're looking for a line that will work for both the beach and river, and you're looking for just one line, I'd go with an SA Mastery sink tip, I think they offer a 15' Type III.

A whole lot of fish have been caught off the beach with a sink tip line, so don't think it wouldn't work for the salt. And, the floating main line of this sink tip configuration would mend better for you.

Another option for you is to get a multi-tip setup. Rio, SA, Cortland, Airflo all offer them. They come with a floating main line and usually 4 tips. I have two Airflo multi-tip lines, and though they don't cast quite the same as a standard floating line, when airing out a cast they do pretty darn well. The lines each have a floating, clear intermediate, Type 3, and Type 6 sink tip.

I used the floating tip once for nymphing, though, and I hated it. The amount of line I wanted to put out for nymphing placed the loop juuuust ahead of the rod tip top; so I would just put a certain amount of energy in to the cast to get the line where I thought the line should go, and the loops would get hung up in the rod tip because it wasn't quuiiite enough energy to get the loops through the top. The loops kept goofing up the casts, and I eventually changed to a full length floating line.

However, I've use that same sink tip setup off the beaches and in lakes, and if you're making long casts, the loops are already outside of the tip top, and there is no problem. My buddy uses his Airflo Multi-tip line, and loves it. I believe the Cabela's multi-tip line is made by Airflo, and there is some good savings there.

There is no perfect line; that's why God came up with extra spools. :thumb:

Good luck!
  11. pcknshvl Member

SEATTLE, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    The Outbound is great on two-handers, too, either overhead, or for Scandi or Skagit style casts. The floater will work nicely both from the beach and on rivers. Mending ability is limited because of the relatively short head and thin running line, but I hear from others that for what it is, is does mend pretty well.

When I use it on rivers, I quarter my casts down stream and perform a reach mend before swinging.

There are also those that swear by using intermediate heads and sinking leaders on rivers. It's just a matter of where you place your casts, and how far you can cast.

If you ever start with two-handed rods, you'll soon be stricken with the "I'll try this line-heade-leader-combo, then this one, then this one...." disease. So much fun

Tom
  12. Les Johnson Les Johnson

.Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    I have found over the past several years that most rods match up pretty well with the recommended line. Personally, I only bump up a couple of sizes with shooting heads. Also, I vastly prefer a full sinking intermediate line on the beaches over a sink-tip of any stripe, especially if the surface gets scuffed up by the wind. When this occurs the full-sinking intermediate still pulls nice and straight under the chop without getting blown around.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson
  13. martyg Active Member

The world at large
    Ratings: +79 / 0
    I've got a drawer ful of RIO lines and like the integrated shooting head the best. I fish 2 of the different full sink tips with an intermediate running line in the integrated set-up.

My boat is set up with multiple rods, one of which has a standard RIO shooting head system. Unless I have a guest on board, or need to get down really, really fast into 30' of water, I use the rod set-up with the integrated line.
  14. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    I, too, when fishing the salt from a boat have several rods set up with different lines. Two of the rods have integrated head or shooting head/running lines set up, and one has the multi-tip line.

However, when fishing from a beach or river, I don't have the luxury of being able to pack around multiple rods. If I know the tides and area I'm going ot fish, I'll take along certain lines, usually one of which is an integrated head line. However, for versatility and flexibility, I find myself using the multi-tip set up more and more. I might sacrifice a little distance, but I know I'll always have the right line, or close to it, for any conditions I will encounter.

An integrated head line can mean a lot of things; it can be a floating running/intermediate head, floating running/various sink rate heads, intermediate running line/various sink rate heads, and so on.

The person who initially made the inquiry is looking for a line that can be used for both beach and river fishing. To satisfy those conditions, the line should probably incorporate a floating main line so it can be mended and manipulated. I've fished several estuaries where, on big tide changes, I need to mend my line to slow down or control the swing of my line.

And if the line is to be used in a river, depending on the size of the river, an integrated head could be a lot of (and sometimes too much) line.

In my opinion, mind you only an opinion, it's still tough to beat, as an all-around line that would fit all of this person's criteria, a 15' Type 3 sink tip. The line can be used effectively for both salt and freshwater surface presentations, and if the person wanted to get down a little more in either situation, weighted flies could help accomplish that.

Les (searun) doesn't have to upline his rods because he's a very good caster and he has more experience fly fishing than my age (46). Some folks, as beginners or intermediates, need to upline their rods by one weight to load the rod adequately when casting, especially when trying to accomplish distances (i.e the beach fishing). I have a Sage TCR 6 weight that will cast 6 to 8 weight lines just fine; I cast a 250 grain Streamer Express on it, which would typically be a 7 or 8 weight line, and the rod eats it up. To the extent finnfisher's rod is rated 7/8, I would suggest they consider using the 8 weight line. I've seen way more people unhappy that they can't load their rod with a particular line as opposed to people unhappy because their rod loads too much with a certain line.

Finnfisher asked if the multi-tips shoot as well as the integrated line heads. No, they don't, but they still cast well and offer the versatility finnfisher seems to seek. The nice thing about the multi-tip lines is that it provides a foundation to customize/make other tips. I have standard mutli-tip packages, and have added to the system by purchasing other shooting heads and cutting them to other lengths. Works great!

Summarizing:

1) The Rio Outbound lines are great, particularly for distance casting, and integrated heads overall work well for this purpose. However, they might not offer finnfish the versatility of the same line for both rivers and salt. If a sink tip line or similar line is desired, it's tough to beat a 15' Type 3 sink tip. Dave Hughes has said this for years, and I tend to agree.

2) The multi-tip system, though you likely won't get the distance with it that you would with an integrated head line, will be more versatile.

3) I'd recommend getting the 8 weight line. The 8 weight will likely load the rod well, where it might be tougher for the 7 wt. line to do so. It would be a major bummer to buy a 7 weight line and find it doesn't cast well, where that wouldn't be as likely to happen with the 8 weight line. :thumb: