Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Priest Lake, Idaho - semi-fishing related

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Idahokid 
#1 ·
I ventured with the family to a new part of the world for me, Priest Lake, Idaho, about two hours northest of Spokane. Priest Lake is not a blue ribbon trout area, but if you want a relaxing family trip, with a chance to catch a few fish, it's hard to beat. West side of lake is predominantly National Forest and east is state land. Only about 200+ cabins and a few resorts on a lake 20 miles long.

After flying into Spokane, we fished the North Fork Coeur D'Alene River on Sunday morning before driving up to the lake. Lots of 9-13" westslope cutts on dry flies in an incredibly beautiful river. My first time here, but I'll be back. Guys at Silver Bow outfitters were very helpful. Very little pressure, even on a weekend.

Priest Lake is amazing. Lake Tahoe in the 50's is how some people characterize it. It's a mackinaw lake, which is not my thing, but we traveled up the two mile "thoroughfare" to the smaller and shallower Upper Priest Lake and caught cutts on dry flies. As a family trip, much of the time was spent in other lacustrine pursuits.

Small tributaries on both the west and east shore are loaded with small brookies and cutts, and there are a number of alpine lakes within driving or short hiking distance.

If you have the opportunity or inclination to go...do it. You can always catch more and bigger fish, but you won't find many places better to relax and enjoy the outdoors...and be able to boat over to a four star restaurant.

Thanks to those from this board who gave me some tips...its not easy to come by first hand info for this area.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.