Wild steelhead on the menu again

Mckormick and schmicks serving wild steelhead. I already sent a letter off similar to what we all sent out last year. Hopefully we can get them to change their minds

Which one? Jake's Famous Crawfish was one of the restaurants that got hit with a barrage of emails last year. They made it very clear they didn't care about our opinions.

Freestone

Not to be confused with freestoneangler
Since the same group owns some of the Rufus Woods triploid net pens, there is a good chance that whatthey are selling is not really steelhead. They market their mutant trout as "Columbia River Steelhead", something that should be illegal but I can't find any agency that really cares... Anyone know a news agency/reporter that would love to do an expose?

TC

I live with wind knots
Regarding the non-named restaruant that I had earlier ( a month ago?) posted about, (my favorite italian place) they did take it off the menu once I talked to them. I politely informed them that they would have a massive crowd at their door if I disclosed who they were to my fellow fly fishermen. I actually showed the manager the Forum web-site. He took it off immediately. Smart business practice. Maybe talk to the manager first before posting it on.....Oh wait. Too late for that huh?

TC

I live with wind knots
But what is even more depressing in the net pens. Have you all seen the front page of the times today?. Not good. Not good at all.

Since the same group owns some of the Rufus Woods triploid net pens, there is a good chance that whatthey are selling is not really steelhead. They market their mutant trout as "Columbia River Steelhead", something that should be illegal but I can't find any agency that really cares... Anyone know a news agency/reporter that would love to do an expose?
The whole "columbia river steelhead" thing is a big bummer too since they escape, make it over Chief Joseph, and show up in the steelhead rivers. No bueno.

Freestone

Not to be confused with freestoneangler
You're right Evan, it is a bummer. There were so many between Chief Joe and Wells this year, that they opened a fishery on the triploids in that stretch this fall.

I think in a lot of cases, a restaurant's definition of "wild" is not the same as ours. If it's from a river and not from a farm pen, it's "wild." I bet they are serving hatchery fish purchased from natives. Of course, if I'm wrong, I'm pissed. Just ask the restaurant about their source.

I think in a lot of cases, a restaurant's definition of "wild" is not the same as ours. If it's from a river and not from a farm pen, it's "wild." I bet they are serving hatchery fish purchased from natives. Of course, if I'm wrong, I'm pissed. Just ask the restaurant about their source.
Wild or hatchery doesn't matter. Gill nets don't know the difference.

You are 100% correct.