720 Peanut Butter Breakfast Bars

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by PatrickH, Jan 7, 2014.

1. PatrickH

PatrickH Active Member

Media:
    Best breakfast bars ever. Someone try these and let me know what you think.​
    I found a basic protein bar recipe online somewhere and it was really boring, so I added a few things and modified the original recipe and now it's the perfect morning breakfast bar.​
    I'm not a breakfast person, so having something I can pick out of a pan and eat it quickly like a big thick cookie.​
    In a hurry to get out on the water? Eat it while you drive. :cool:
    “Tired of being hungry 2 hours after breakfast? Try 1 bar for breakfast and you will be well satisfied until lunch time. Each bar contains approximately 700 Calories and 20 grams of Protein and is why I named them the 720 breakfast bar.”
    Ingredients
    • 1 3/4 Cups - Skippy Natural Creamy Honey Peanut Butter
    • 1 Cup Raisins
    • 6 oz. Honey
    • 1 Cup Walnuts (Ground) or any other nut combination.
    • 3 Cups Quaker Oats 1 Minutes Quick Oats
    • 1/2 Cup Flax Seed (Milled)
    • 2 Tbsp Wheat Germ
    • 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
    • 1/2 Tsp Vanilla
    • 1 Scoop 100% Whey Protein
    Directions
    1. Add Peanut Butter, Honey, Vanilla, Cinnamon into a large 8-quart pan and heat on Low. Stir when mixture warms up.
    2. When it becomes as smooth as it's going to get, remove from heat and add all the remaining ingredients and stir with a Heavy Duty Mixing Spatula until all dry ingredients are mixed together all the way. It will look dry at first and hard to mix, but it will mix together.
    3. Dump your mixture into a 8" x 12" glass baking dish and firmly press evenly into the pan.
    4. Now place into a pre-heated oven at 340 degrees for 20 minutes.
    Remove from oven and let cool over night.
    Footnotes
    Sprinkle with Chocolate Chips and press into mixture just before you put them in the oven is optional. Lightly press them into the mixture. They will melt fast, so you only have a few seconds to work with. No need to refrigerate. I just leave them sitting on the counter, covered with Aluminum Foil for up to 7 days. Other similar size glass pans may be used at the same cooking times. Just keep a eye on it while baking the last few minutes. You want a light golden brown. Prep: Get all dry ingredients ready, then melt the peanut butter, then dump in dry ingredients all at once and start mixing immediately.
    bb.jpg 720 Breakfast bar.jpg

Jeff Dodd and triploidjunkie like this.
  2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Patrick, it looks a lot similar to one that Tiffany Haugen makes. Her's are DELICIOUS! She makes them into balls though (ok, here comes the laughter lol). Full of good proteins and vitamins and taste pretty damned good. I'll have to find the recipe and post it up. Can leave hers raw or can cook them.

3. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

From the title I thought iserhaps a variation of the 420 bar

4. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Skippy Natural Peanut Butter isn't. It contains a lot of sugar and palm oil which is a saturated fat. Peanuts produce unsaturated fat. For real peanut taste I would recommend good old fashioned Adams-the kind you need to stir. It used to be carried by Costco but lately I see only the faux peanut butters there.

Peanut butter=peanuts and salt. No additives can make it taste more like peanut butter.

That being said the recipe looks like a real winner otherwise.

5. greenwater

greenwater Member

Media:
    Agree Ive, only Adams for me.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Tapatalk

6. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    Looks good, but 700 calories in a breakfast bar? Might work if I was fishing or otherwise working out all day, but that is 500 calories more than the breakfast bar I eat every morning. I try to keep my calorie count down in the 1800-2000 range, especially now that I am in my mid-fifties.

Wayne

rory likes this.
  7. fishingAK14

fishingAK14 Member

I could have eaten the hell out of those while I was hiking the Oregon section of the PCT. They look amazing.

8. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I agree with Ive on the peanut butter.
    I usually just slap together an Adams (creamy style) with raisins and Tillamook cheddar on some organic multigrain bread.
    I need more protein, though, and am trying to figure out how to incorporate whey into the mix. I don't think that I'd add any honey or chocolate chips.
    I try to bring along a piece of smoked salmon or some leftover chicken thighs. I have even been known to include a leftover pork chop and an apple. I also take bananas fishing with me, since I only fish "to get away from it all and experience nature." Hell, who needs to catch a fish if we're just letting 'em go? (Just kidding on that last one!:p )

9. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Trader Joe's Peanut Butter, salted/crunchy; has to be stirred and refrigerated. Best I've ever had.
    Recipe looks great.