Not Bad for 7-Months

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
5' from a wild Rooster; held the bird 3-4 minutes until the old guy scrambled-up the steep slope, took a couple photos, then flushed the bird. Wasn't hunting (this is a pristine area I got access to . . . can't hunt it, but can train there & it's full of Pheasants, Quail & Huns. The fun is in watching the pup work, anyway.). Hank is going to be a great dog . . . handles well, considering his age and he knows what it's all about. Saturday hunting was a big zero, bird-wise so I opted to do this on Sunday. Next season at points east ought to be a blast!

Searunseeker

Bird Dogs and Fly Rods
The best part of hunting is a dog. I forgot my license on my last hunt and had my best hunt ever just watching my dog find birds. That is one good looking pup there... love the intensity!

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Thanks, folks . . . I'm quite pleased. Ras, Hank is a Braque du Bourbonnaise (or as Dan Hoke referred to him when someone asked, "A Frenchie." Time & $$$ invested with a great trainer pays huge dividends. I wanted Hank started right on live birds & I obviously succeeded in that quest; the obedience fine-tuning & Dan's training of me was a huge perk. Dan trains more than dogs . . . ).

Alex MacDonald

that's His Lordship, to you.....
Well done, Jim; this dog'll HUNT!! Wouldn't it be great if there was a dog that'd hunt up and point an elk, and actually hold him!

Rick Todd

Hi Jim-I used Dan Hoke to train my setter summer before last. He did a good job for me too. My setter is in her second season and really hunting well! I shot 7 pheasants and a couple huns over point with her in Montana on the opener. She also did well on quail, pheasant and huns on the quail opener in the Okanogan. (pointed several pheasants but alas pheasants weren't open! Rick

Upton O

Blind hog fisherman
Jim, I think you make a really important point. I had my dog professionally trained but I got more training than the dog. It was necessary to retain the consistency in behavior for the dog and I needed to learn how to act or react with the dog as necessary. My opinion: 90% of the trouble with dogs is the people who own them. Good on you and Hank, I wish you many miles of hunting together.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Amen, Upton & thanks All! Must be some birds in your neck of the fields/woods, Alex ye bonny Lad . . . Hank & I could use a road trip (and I happen to know you have Elk steaks . . . mmm, mmm, good . . .). There may be such a dog, but I'd not be fond o' cleanin' up after such beastie. I dinnae budget for a payloader this year and only ken operating a wee shovel . . .

steelydan

Newb seeking wisdom
Jim, I think you make a really important point. I had my dog professionally trained but I got more training than the dog. It was necessary to retain the consistency in behavior for the dog and I needed to learn how to act or react with the dog as necessary. My opinion: 90% of the trouble with dogs is the people who own them. Good on you and Hank, I wish you many miles of hunting together.
Agreed.
Getting a dog with prey drive on birds early primes the dog for the rest of it's life.
Staying out of the way of the natural process was something I had to learn.
A good dog will teach the owner to follow, not lead.

Who wants to hunt this Sunday?