Thinamabobbers kind of suck. What's better?

I like thingamabobbers for a few applications, but they are pretty crude for others. They absolutely rule in big moving water and for long-distance work.

Ed, for your rigging question, here is an alternate method - I use a leader with a heavy, short butt section (25#, 2ft) handshake-looped to the loop on the end of the flyline. I make sure that my butt loop is about 3" deep, so that when I put my bobber on (regular way, looped over in lark's-head fashion), it is wholly on the doubled portion of the loop, bumped up tight to the flyline junction. This accomplishes a few things - 1) there is no mono in between the flyline and the indicator, making it easy to mend all the way to the indi and also preventing "false reads", as sunk mono is liable to turn the indi unnaturally and make you believe your rig is doing things that it really isn't. 2) the flyline butted up to the indi gives yet another "tell" as to what is going on underneath the surface - which side is your flyline on, and where is it pointing? 3) When properly butted to the flyline over a loop, the thingyboober NEVER slides, and I mean never. Basically, after you pull the knot of the loop thru that teeny hole in the indi, you practically have to cut the leader to get it off.
I follow your rigging strategy for the indicator but that 2' of heavy mono hanging under your bobber seems like a liabilty for not only your drift but telegraphing eats. It'll act like a sail in the water unless your rig is weighted enough.

Lindy ice-n-fly for long and light rigs exclusively. Love that bobber I wish they made a bigger version.
Thingamabobbers creatively rigged when I'm running shorter heavier rigs. I agree they are harder to read but I've fished them long enough and have worked out the rig through a lot of trial and error. They can be trusted.

Lugan

Joe Streamer
The "tenkara" of nymph fishing... and certainly fixes your issue as to which indicator to use :ray1:
Or the trendy new "czech nymphing" thing, which is the same as just nymphing w/o a boober though czech nymphers get all wierd and detailed about their leader set up. Anyway, just skip the boober, cast a little shorter, watch your fly line tip and keep your line tight on the drift and you'll be in business. A side benefit of the no-boober technique is the ability to vary depth w/o needing to adjust the boober constantly, even though some might find fiddling with boobers fun.

Rob Allen

Nymphing without an indicator is nothing new I have been doing it for 30 years and others did it 100 years before i cam along.. it doesn't need some newbie to come along and take credit for developing it nymphing without an indicator is called nymhing

Nymphing without an indicator is nothing new I have been doing it for 30 years and others did it 100 years before i cam along.. it doesn't need some newbie to come along and take credit for developing it nymphing without an indicator is called nymhing
I had to laugh when I read it too Rob. Some folks don't realize that, that nymphing was most common "back-in-the-day" without, before bobbers came along (into the fly fishing world). I just got so use to not using one, that when I did...I sucked at it.

Luke77

I hope she likes whitefish
Thingamabobbers are the best thing since democracy. All those that say otherwise are comies!

But seriously there are a lot of good alternatives in this thread that I may give a try. Thanks guys.

g_smolt

Recreational User
but that 2' of heavy mono hanging under your bobber seems like a liabilty for not only your drift but telegraphing eats. It'll act like a sail in the water unless your rig is weighted enough.
Yeah, I used to think that too, but .003- .005" doesn't really make that much of a difference either way, and the only places I nymph (read: bobber fish) anymore are places that are too short or deep to swing effectively, so heavy weights are pretty much de rigueur on my boober rigs. I think the relationship of where you land your fly (or bead) to where you land your boober makes more difference than what type of indicator you fish or how heavy your line is.

Ed Call

G, I get that. So you cozy that big indi up to the fly line making the tip of your flyline a bulbous mass to float the nymph rig. I get that clearly. What do you use for indicators in other situations? You said they are crude for all but big water. Do you use some sort of yarn, the float putty, other types of indis? Thanks!

Ed Call

My 75 y/o father in law has only flyfished, done it his whole life. He fishes nymphs with no indicator, using his fly line tip. He is a single handed Jedi Master.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Jesse-I know you don't like the Sku-it indicators, but wondering why. I like them as you can adjust the amount of buoyancy to the weight you are fishing and they don't kink the line. Also pretty easy to cast. I was using dime store balloons before the thingamabobbers and they worked well but again kinks in the line and not easy to adjust the amount of air without re-rigging. I'm of the opinion that the best way to know if your flies are fishing right is to have enough lead above the flies and enough buoyancy on your indicator. Rick
I tried the sku-it indicators for half a day. My buddy used the balloon indicator and it lost the air twice. He took it off in frustration. The trapped air ones are "ok". But the round shape doesn't provide vertical information on whether the flies are fishing correctly.
I was concerned about the Skru It balloon holding air. Too bad the trapped air type is not offered on the Depth Skru store. I use the Quick Release (Slip Strike) indicator (peg up) pre-tied above a tippet ring for long leaders on stillwater. I'm curious if anyone has tried the (new-style) TOSI Turn-On Strike Indicator? They supposedly vary from being able to slide for landing fish on a long leader without always being lost if a tippet breaks, to a secure placement without kinking the leader.

BTW I did fairly well trying a 5 weight 3M Mastery Textured Series Nymph / Indicator line I won in a club raffle on the Yak in October. In depths to 4' I just varied short 10 - 20 foot casts between 10 & 2 oclock cross-stream on a 7.5' leader to vary the depth. The only downside being a special purpose line that I either need another reel for or have to spool on/off off to use another line.

luv2fly2

i really like thingamabobbers. they are easy to use and are adjustable and easy to see and are light. luke commmies is spelt with 3 m's. thanks, mike w

Rick Todd

I just got a new supply of balloons from Skru It due to the original ones having problems holding air. Maybe this will solve the problem. I haven't fished with the new ones but tried a couple left with air for a couple days and they held fine. The concept is a really good one I think-no line kink, and you can easily add or subtract buoyancy at streamside. I hope this new batch works and I salute them for sending them out at NC! Rick