Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Which DSLR do you shoot?

Which DSLR do you shoot, Canon or Nikon?

8K views 62 replies 43 participants last post by  TeamKen 
#1 ·
Which DSLR do you use, Canon or Nikon? Why? I've always shot canon mostly because my brother shot canon and he could show me how to use my equipment. Just curious as to what everyone else is using.

#35 ·
Nikon D90....my experience is here and not with a cannon. The D90 made an inexperienced photographer capable. Now with experience, and knowledge of the camera, I can take great shots every time. To me you can't go wrong, but as an individual, get a few cameras in your hand and see what's best for YOU. Just like a fly rod.

#39 ·
Currently have a Nikon d200 with several nikon lenses. I usually shoot RAW, then post-process with a couple systems. I knew a couple other co-workers who had Nikons, and was able to borrow one to try before my purchase, along with the ability to borrow lenses from each other, it has worked out well. I have the itch for a d700 but its just not in the finances as of now.

#44 ·
Olympus 4/3 and adapters for lenses such as Nikon 600/4 AIS
Olympus 4/3 bodies like E510/E3 have 2x crop, built in body image stabilizers so it turns any lens into IS-not as sophisticated as Canon IS but still fine.
Have shot Olympus OM cameras since 1976 but like Canon EOS, Nikon too
they are all great tools

Dec 2011 snowy owl/coast

#47 ·
Canon for me. Have a 5d mark 2 and a 7d. Just Pre ordered my new 5d mark 3. Was confirmed today inwill have it in my hands on thursday march 22nd . Have way to much money invested in all L lenses to switch over. even though the Nikon D800 did have me play with the thought. Either way you cant go wrong with either.

#51 ·
I just bought a Nikon D5100 for my wife and I last week for our first SLR and am enjoying learning it so far! I've got some great shots this past week even using dummy mode, so I can't wait to figure the thing out!

Do you guys use lens filters on your lenses? I haven't bought any yet but my reading has been mixed as some people swear by them for protecting the lens and other don't bother.

#57 ·
In years past I've had a Leica M3, Rolleiflex SL 26, a Rollei 35 for climbing, and a Pentax Super Program but I'm just a casual user. A couple of years ago after checking Consumer Reports I found a well rated Canon T1i entry level outfit at a good price and have a Canon D10 that both take good photos. Canon Support has gone over the top for me, replacing a 5 year old early digital camera because they had once had a recall on the sensor. They also replaced a brand new camcorder for free even after I told them a faulty port on my PC had damaged the firewire port.

#58 ·
Canon EOS 40D- I used to skateboard a lot, and a lot of my favourite photographers from the magazines would shoot on a Canon EOS 1NRS and I just got sort of hooked into the Canon thing. They were my favourite photogs and they used Canon so in my mind I just slowly naturally became a Canon guy. But in all honesty, both Nikon and Canon are great and I can't say one is better than the other. I just grew up influenced by Canon and have always shot Canon.

#59 ·
I have to say: it's important to ask the right question.
Why DSLR?
Moving mirrors are complex and bulky.
After being disappointed with Canon's wide angle offerings I sold my Canon gear and bought into the M4/3 system: Panasonic. Lighter, simpler, cheaper and ...... in my opinion, optically, superior. I'm tempted by some of Sony's innovative work, but......
in the end, it's the image that matters. And Panasonic offers amazing lenses for the money. Actually, forget the money. They are amazing. Period. You have to shoot them to appreciate them, in my opinion. Just sayin'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.