Catch and Release???

TonyZ

On the very rare occasion, I keep a planter from a stocked lake, I don't keep any from streams, ever, I want them there for me to catch the next time out, as I frequent my 5 favorite local streams on the regular.

Over the years I guess I have become soft and see their beauty, majesty, and the joy they brought me from the hunt as more important then 1/2 a meal a trout provides.

Upton O

Blind hog fisherman
My wife and I eat fish 4-5 times a week, I wish I could say I caught them all. As for salmonids, I don't eat commercial farmed salmon or trout, I do eat hatchery fish I catch and pink salmon, plus all eastern brook trout I catch (it's been a while, though, for these great eating little fish). What I object to is folks taking a bunch of fish, throwing them in the freezer and 9 months to a year later throwing them out (this is the issue for folks who catch a bunch of lings or rockfish beyond what they will eat fresh). That is what rankles me.

I seldom kill a fish of any kind. But there are exceptions. As other have said, the spiny rays reproduce very rapidly. I think they are tasty and it thins the school. I will take an occasional trout for the table but the last one was some years ago. I am not particularly fond of the taste of trout. Pan fish are another story.

Recycling fish leaves something for the guy behind you. I have seen rather large fish with several holes in their lips from C&R fishing.

I understand somewhat the British notion that you kill every fish you take, but I also understand that the more modern fishers are moving away from that theory.

But perhaps I am odd duck, because catching the fish is just a bonus. Being out on the water, watching the fly line do it's dance, watching nature around me, is what it is all abut for me. Sunny weather is a plus, but rain washes away some of the doldrums also.

Alex MacDonald

that's His Lordship, to you.....
I find the hatchery fish all taste like I'd imagine Purina Trout Chow tastes, and i've eaten enough fish in my day, I really don't like `em! Catching is great, but I'll release almost all of them.

GATOR9

Hey you guys
Strictly catch and release. I think one would find high numbers over all that catch and release. I just figure that by releasing any and all will off set those that I see on w/ends in the mtns. or flats that have a dozen or so rods in the family and all are in the water with worms and catching more than the limit and we all know it happens.

I catch and release everything except when my dad or grandpa puts a special request in. Then I will keep a trip or hatchery redband for them if it's over five pounds.

freestoneangler

Not to be confused with Freestone
I keep and eat a lot of fish - my wife and I eat fish (include shellfsih) of some kind at least 3 times of week. In addition many of my fishing/hunting lunches feature either smoked kokanee or Columbia spring Chinook.

I frequently keep such critters as crabs, spot prawns, geoducks, ling cod, halibut, etc. I suspect except for some ing cod there is virtually no interest in releasing any of those other critters by most "anglers" in the state. From time to time I do enjoy a nice mess of fried panfish (perch or crappie).

When it comes to salmonids I do keep some fish from healthy populations and in a typically year I may keep any of the following kokanee, pink, sockeye, coho or Chinook. I never keep a bull trout, sea-run cutthroat or stream resident trout and hae not keep a hatchery steelhead in more than 15 years.

In fact tonight the menu includes prawns (grilled on the barbie on skrewer with garlic butter), ling cod (fried in olive oil after dredging in flour, egg wash and panko), "dirty rice", steamed asparagus (with a little sea-salt), fresh baked bread and a rhubarb pie. Might even pull cork on a nice Ressling to go with.

BTW I harvested the prawns and ling cod yesterday, the rhubard and asparagus are from the garden.

In short fishing opportunities in this state are very diverse and certianly provide the opportunity for some excellent "eats" for those that are so inlcined. The key is to recognize that some species serve our interests best in Cn fisheries others for the table. I feel strongly that an anlger has ample room to harvest and enjoy the bounty of waters; the key is to be selective in what and where we take that harvest.

Tight lines
Curt
Totally missed this reply... yum...home address and time for pre-dinner cocktails please :D

mat1226

Trout are for having fun with, salmon are for eating. I haven't purposely killed a trout in over 30 years. Now salmon, that is a different story. My brother has been known to jump out of his drift boat in the middle of the Madison to revive a poorly released fish. But in those days he knew most every one of them on a first name basis.

I kept 4 stocked trout from a local lake just the other day and cooked em for dinner, my wife loves em. That is what they are there for, I kill every hatchery fish I encounter. When I go up to the interior lakes in b.c. I always keep a couple to eat(if it's legal to do so), nothin wrong with that.
I should qualify my original statement, I fish pass lake from time to time, and have never kept a fish and I believe those fish are stocked. So in reality I don't kill every hatchery fish I encounter.

Hatchery fish should be removed from the system. Especially males. The Methow has a mandatory kill rule for a reason. As a matter of fact, there should be a mandatory hatchery kill throughout the state. Releasing those fish is very bad for the native populations. Hatchery practices are designed to either spatialy or temporally separate hatchery and wild run timing. Great in thoery, but hard to do effectively. There can be very high levels of introgression--which can have a negative effect on the fitness of future generations. Bonk away!