Fishing soft hackle flies in stillwater

This is one of my favorite flies for still water fishing. I like it for the ease of tying, color variation and action in the water. I am still trying to figure out why the orange and red seem to work so well, but I guess the fish will not share that secret with me. The nice part about it is that you can tie it with just about any material that suits your fancy. It may not impress the trout, but then again, so many of my offerings do not impress the trout.

Anybody else hold a reverence to this type of fly for flat water?

I understand that the spider type flies are also great for steelhead.

I'm right there with ya Charlie. I look for any excuse to tie on a softy. Easyto tie.and just flat out works. One of my go to patterns on my local lakes

Nice looking patterns Brad. I am thinking of trying some in the local pond. I have never fished it with flies. This might be the year.

Nick, I have never had a problem catching a fish with the orange
and partridge with a bit of trailing krystal Flash. They must take it for a trailing shuck.

This is one of my favorite flies for still water fishing. I like it for the ease of tying, color variation and action in the water. I am still trying to figure out why the orange and red seem to work so well, but I guess the fish will not share that secret with me. The nice part about it is that you can tie it with just about any material that suits your fancy. It may not impress the trout, but then again, so many of my offerings do not impress the trout.

Anybody else hold a reverence to this type of fly for flat water?

I understand that the spider type flies are also great for steelhead.
As a dropper off of a dry fly it works quite well. Especially in those lakes that have decent caddis activity.

Jeff Studebaker

Kayak Fly Angler
Partridge and orange works for me fairly often as well. Partridge and green too.

My #1 go-to lake fly is a Doc Spratley-style fly with a soft-hackle collar instead of a wing. If I want to match a particular bug, it's easy enough to give this fly a haircut right on the water. A snip here, a snip there and oua la! A passable mayfly nymph.

Aside from their effectiveness, there is something about catching fish on old traditional flies...

I recently tied a bunch of soft hackles and I am headed up to leech lake for the weekend. I was curious what presentation you guys are using on still water. I was thinking of using them in conjunction with a nymph using indicator tactics or fished off a Wolly bugger on a sinking line.

I recently tied a bunch of soft hackles and I am headed up to leech lake for the weekend. I was curious what presentation you guys are using on still water. I was thinking of using them in conjunction with a nymph using indicator tactics or fished off a Wolly bugger on a sinking line.
I am not smart enough to handle two flies on one line. I use them mostly to cast into the bank or weed beds from deeper water, on a slow sinking line or a floater with a fluorocarbon tippet. Fishing from shore, I would probably use a full floater with a little longer leader.

Work the fly slowly and allow the "legs" to move. Two things about the fly series. The fish have to see it so I like brighter colors in daytime, and it must move slowly to allow the legs to work. If you troll the fly I would recommend a slow troll. If you use it with a dropper keep that in mind. I like to troll my Olive buggers a little faster than the softies.

Give us a report on how you do at the lake.

Kent Lufkin

Remember when you could remember everything?
A soft hackle off a floater fished tight up to the shoreline is usually my first choice when starting out on a lake. I have a couple patterns that work so well that they often end up being a chewed mass with little resemblance to their original profile, yet the fish still just hammer 'em.

I'm a big fan of peacock herl as a body material. There's just something about that iridescent green that draws fish like Power Bait.

K