Tying scissors - straight or curved?

Kent Lufkin

Remember when you could remember everything?
One of the posts in another thread on newbie tying tools recommended buying curved scissors. Is there an advantage to using curved ones or is it just one of those things you get used to and end up always using?

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I like the straight ones myself. But I need to find some that really cut close on small flies. It looks like hell when you tie up a size 16 or 18 and have something sticking out that you can't cut off.

Jim

IveofIone

Jim, Try a pair of Dr. Slick 4" Micro Tip scissors for $14.99. They can be found on page 94 of the new Cabela's Flyfishing Catalog. They will easily cut individual fibers or tiny stickups. Just don't drop them on a hard floor! Curved scissors? No. Rotary vise? yes. Ive

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
Straight.
With a bit of dexterity you can cut a curve with straight scissors but try to cut straight with curved scissors and you will find it much more difficult.

There are other qualities that are more important than the over-all shape and for the average tyer, Dr. Slick has them all.
I think we are very fortunate that Dr. Slick came on the scene a few years ago. Good quality, reasonable price, extensive selection.
I'm sure that Dr. Slick must be pretty happy too, about hitting the right market with the right products at the right time.

TC

luv2fly2

love the straight thompson scissors but they cost over $20. for deer hair i use a double edged razor blade with an old pair of leather gloves.

Hal Eckert

"Take nothing but pictures leave nothing but your tracks"

Straight, tried to curved and use them occassionally but like the straight better.

BG

Jim:

Disgusting statements are not allowed on this web site. There are people who have just eaten their breakfast and they don't want ot lose it thinking about your toes.

Bob, the Let's keep things wholesome around here.:eek

Old Man

Just an Old Man
But Bob. That is the best I could do being that the dog woke me up and I had to get back at whom ever was up. Besides it was my stab at a little humor. So cut me some slack you old fart.:p

Jim