Entry level light rods

yuhina

Tropical member
As summer is approaching there are more opportunities for those light sticks...

I was wondering what is your ideal entry level (under $350) light spey (6weight or below) choice?

I have 2 entry level rods I am really impressed, simply impressed by the performance of those rods not only their friendly price tags.

1) LL Bean Silver Ghost 8 weight (5 weight in spey rating) 11'. This rod is quick, light and fun to fish. I have been using this stick for trout fishing for few months and had a blast with it. Light and responsive. really impressed with this rod. Several lines I like, 320 Rio Scandi short, 350 skagit short

2) TFO DeerCreek 13' 6/7 this rod is such a joy to cast, light and well balanced feel - the hallmark action of MKS series. (Thanks Mike and Bob for the great design!) the lines I like 360 grain Rage. Good control and very "relax" when fish this rod...

Panhandle

Loop multi 12/7

One of the best rods I've ever cast. Too bad its no longer being produced. If you can get your hands one, grab it.

fredaevans

Not going to put 'My Dog into this fight,' the question I'd pose back is what are you fishing for (fish/weight/typical water flows), when/where. As odd as it may seem (probably not) in a given stream flow of 500 extra/less cfs' may require a rod change - up or down (fish dependent).
But I have too many rods.
:>)

Salmo_g

I did an experiment a few years ago to see if there was a cheap Spey rod possibility, so there might be better buys currently. I bought a Forecast (made by Rainshadow) blank and kit. It's 11' 6" for a 6/7 wt for about $100. Of course you have to "roll" your own, but that's plenty easy for anyone who's not all thumbs. It's a bit of a fast action rod, but easy enough to cast. I use a 6 wt short belly line or a 400 gr Skagit head on it with good casting and fish catching results. I liked it well enough that I bought a second kit for back up. I really like it for small brushy winter run streams where I constantly whack alder limbs with the tip section - still haven't broken one. But it also gets some summer time service too. The main thing about building one up from a kit is that both the rear and fore grips are too long and need to be trimmed back. Anyone contemplating building one contact me for dimensions.

Sg

McNasty

Canyon Lurker
ll beans a good choice, i have a streamlight ultra in 7/8 and even though iv'e not cast many other rods to campare it to its very nice IMO. ive been told by multiple spey guys who use them as a backup that they usually end up putting their high end rods away to fish their streamlight because they like it more. i think theyr around $200

yuhina

Tropical member
I agree! Echo rod is definitely a great buy regarding to it's performance!

I had the Decho 5122 for a while and love the soft regressive "Dredger"action a lot. But this little rod is a little bit lack of fighting power to my targeted species... so I have to pass it to a friend. Still miss it though... one day I will buy another 5122 for sure!

Just for the record, I really think Decho 7130 is an amazing all around stick!

yuhina

Tropical member
Loop multi 12/7

One of the best rods I've ever cast. Too bad its no longer being produced. If you can get your hands one, grab it.
Adam,

Good call... Multi 7120 is a great rod. I used this rod for few weeks and really like it. A typical strong action scandinavian type of stick, not as crispy as the Guildeline LeCie series. But deep flex enough to sling 500 skagit head with easy. The only minor complain I have about this rod is it is a bit "boring" to fight fish on this rod.

Greg Holt

Salmo_g nailed it with the Forecast 1166 6/7, but I think it's discontinued as of 6 months ago. If any of you come across a blank, you'd be smart to grab it--it's close to perfect for small to medium brushy rivers with fish to 15 pounds as a target, but can reach 100 feet when necessary. It's very versatile, very affordable, very durable (but I rat-holed a spare blank anyway)--I can't imagine a better short rod for the money. Always a touch of sadness when a potential classic is discontinued for the sake of change.

He's also right about the grips needing to be shorter--I built mine with Batson's switch grips (stock) and got the result I was looking for, and their smaller diameter suits the rod as well or better than cut-down spey grips. It has become my default rod from June thruough November.
Greg

yuhina

Tropical member
Forecast definitely makes some good blanks... I have built some of their single handed rod in the past, but never have a chance to use their two handed blanks... It is good to know they do well in this field too.

Salmo_g

Yuhina,

In that series of Forecast Spey blanks, it was the 11' 6" one that shines. The longer heavier line blanks build fishable rods too, but each longer one was increasingly a dog, relative to other far superior rods in the marketplace.

If the Forecast is no longer available, a price increase to the upgraded graphite in the Buleah blank in the same length and line weight is really nice. But it's not so low end.

Forecast introduced a new line of Spey blanks 2 or 3 years ago, but I have no experience with them. Haven't heard of how good they are.

Sg

yuhina

Tropical member
Sg,

Thanks for the information! Great to know this, my friend is just asking me about building some short rods for surf fishing. I have cast the Beulah platinum series and was really impressed by the feel of those rods... 7132... however, as you mentioned, their blanks are not in the entry level.

Mark