8 weight Redington Switch

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by feather flinger, Jan 10, 2014.

1. feather flinger

feather flinger feather flinger

Anybody fished with an 8 weight Redington Prospector switch rod? I just bought one and I'm looking to see if anybody has found the sweet grain weight for casting this stick. Thanks for any input.

2. hookedonthefly

hookedonthefly Active Member

I've never cast that rod...but, I'd like to.

Some switch rods can be finicky; and, a lot depends on the action. You could go with manufacturers' recommendations; but, I find that's not always the best answer. The ideal way to line that rod would be to try a few different lines.

My first thought would be towards a Airflo Rage 480g or RIO steelhead scandi 480g (or whatever they call them these days) and see what she does. That could very well be one option for more of a skater/waker/subsurface trick/smaller fly kind of a trip. The next line I would take a look at would be an Ambush 10 with an Airflo Delta Spey 6/7 replacement tip cut back to 9' at 50g. If it is more of a full flex rod, I would look towards an Airflo Skagit Switch.

If it does flex and you're newer to the 2-handed world, you might be better starting out on a Skagit Compact as it's about a 3 foot longer head which makes it easier not to blow the anchor. Then, transition to the Skagit Switch.

I have a clinic coming up on the Skagit Feb 1st. I have demo lines. PM if you're interested; or, ed@theconfluenceflyshop.com

Very best of luck with the new rod.
    Cheers,
    Ed

3. Chedster

Chedster Member

Rio Scandi versitip #8 is awesome on that rod. I'm still trying to dial in skagit head. So far the best is a Airflo skagit switch 510 but I'm going to go one size heavier and see how I like it.

4. hookedonthefly

What grain tip and length are you using with the 510g Skagit switch?

5. Chedster

Chedster Member

7.5' and 10' tips of T-12, T-14, and T-17. 12' tips and longer are also manageable but I tend to use the longer tips on my 13' rod.

6. 10ft t23

CLO likes this.
  7. hookedonthefly

I have found that some switch rods don't care for "a lot" of grain weight on the tip. If it feels clunky with those "heavier" tips, I would like to try that 510 switch with a lighter tip...say in the 50-80g range. But, I could be totally off base too. Lining rods on the interweb...RAD!
    Cheers,
    Ed

Evan Virnoche likes this.
  8. feather flinger

feather flinger feather flinger

Thanks for all of the advice guys. It's been really interesting. I'm going to take Ed up on his invitation to try some different lines on this stick at his Feb 1st clinic on the Skagit. FF

9. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

I tried one a few months ago, at Confluence Fly Shop's weekly spey session on the Nooksack River. It's an amazingly powerful (but not too stiff) little rod, casting all the way across the river. It was fitted with a skagit head and running line; unfortunately I don't know the line specs, but it was clearly dialed in.

10. William Wallace

William Wallace Active Member

Don't have the Prospector, but just picked up the 11'9" 8wt Dually, first lawn cast with a 480 Skagit switch and 10' of T10.

First, I will say this rod is so light in hand, I feel like I am casting a 4wt! The rod has a lighter tip with a bunch of back bone! It takes nothing to cast out to 80 feet. Wish I had a bigger yard, hell I am already casting into my neighbors yard and don't want to cast over his fence into the next neighbors!

Also tried my 10wt Ambush, no tips, just 12' leader and damn, I think I have fallen in love with this rod. I know it is line rated for a little heavier, but my feeling is between a 480 and 525 gr is my liking. Not sure if the light tip will be fond of a heavier line, guess it depends on your style of casting and stroke. So for me, my style and the lines tried so far, I give it a 4.5 out of 5!

Wanted something light, be able to fish in tight areas, casting 30-60 feet with no effort, I think I have found the right rod for a great price. Love the looks and feel of the handle, but feel like a lot of rod makers, the cork may not be the greatest quality, but not bad. The handle is perfect length for me on a switch. I hate when makers will put the same length on a switch and on a spey rod or it is the size diameter of a beer can. With reel ( 4"W Farlow Serpent) and line, the outfit balances perfect, can't wait to get it on the water and try it with a few more lines. Reel seat fits all of my reels, the Farlow just fits in, but all the rest easily fit. Overall looks of the rod impressed me with blank and wrap color.

I have the rest of the week off and now get my " Honey do" list done tonight and tomorrow! We will see how it all turns out.

11. Matthew Joyce

Matthew Joyce Member

Also curious about the action of the Prospector 8wt switch. Is it deeper flexing?