WTB 8 weight reel and line

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Chad A, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi. I'm 17 and I just got back fly fishing for the first time with my neighbor and LOVED it. I have always been a gear fisherman, but this is a new and fun challenge for me! He gave me an 8 weight rod for salmon but I have no reel or line of my own. I was told that some of you guys may be able to help me out, as I am on a teenager's budget. :p

I am looking for an appropriate reel and floating line and whatever else is recommended/necessary for the upcoming salmon run!

2. Chad, I have a tan Fenwick long-belly WF8F line, 100 feet long. I measured and probably test-cast it, but don't remember fishing with it. So it's in like-new condition, on its spool, in its box. I'll sell it for $17, shipping included.

For reels, check eBay for Pflueger Medalist reels, 1495 1/2, or 1595 1/2 for the rim control model. It's been a working class American classic for about a century. They're rather handsome and very durable, still in production, so extra spools are available. Used ones are usually $25 to $50 - tremendous bargains.

3. where are you located if you can pick it up i have some stuff you can have.

Bondar likes this.
  4. I am in the Everett area.
    I will see if I can conjure up some more money over the next few weeks so maybe I can get that line.
    Thanks guys!

5. Chad, for Christmas someone gave me an 8wt reel from LL Bean. It's a composite (hard plastic) reel with a nice disc drag. I use it and like it very much, and was surprised to discover that it's a $30 reel. I've also looked at an inexpensive Solo reel from Echo. It's in the $30 range too. It has a metal frame and composite spool. You might also want to take a look at Cabelas. Sometimes they have huge discounts on their store brand reels. I've seen a $50 reel for $19.95. There's not always such good deals but it can't hurt to at least take a look at the website.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.