8 Weight Steelhead Single Handle Fly Rod

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Maxwell Smart, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Porter

Porter Active Member

The one I like the most.

2. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
  3. dsteady

dsteady New Member

Sage XP 810 -- I love mine and just returned from a trip in B.C. fishing a small(ish) river. We fished tips and weighted flies, but while a two-hander would have been overkill there still was not a lot of back-casting room. The 10' XP, overloaded with a 9 wt. Rio Versi-Tip, allowed me to make one-hand spey casts (Snap-T, Perry Poke) to +50' all day, effortlessly for a week, and the extra foot of length allowed great mending ability. We were fishing 3" string leeches with large dumbells and the Xp turned them over with ease.
    As ever, go cast one yourself first. But in my opinion it's easily the best SH one-hander I've ever fished. Great for the salt as well.
    cheers,
    daniel

4. Porter

Porter Active Member

It will also make your wallet an 1/4 inch less. But I do agree if $ is not a concern you are talking about one great rod ...the XP. But, of course there are others out there...T&T, G. Loomis, etc.

5. dsteady

dsteady New Member

True, true. It is spendy, but I was lucky to get mine s/h from a dealer who used it on a single bonefish trip. But, he also claimed it was the best bonefish rod he'd ever fished -- this was before the redesigned RPLXi.
    dn'l

6. Porter

Porter Active Member

And this has to do with what? Sorry you left me a little confused regarding the XP rod and the RPLXi rod?

7. dsteady

dsteady New Member

The RPLXi was considered Sage's premium saltwater rod for many years. It was especially coveted by bonefishermen in the 9' 8wt. model. They recently redsigned it -- it's now got a new alpha-script -- so I guess I'm saying the dealer who sold me my xp may have changed his mind about its bonefishing superiority with the introduction of the new rod.
    d'l