8 wt rod and reel suggestions

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by IrishFishinGuy, Nov 16, 2002.

1. I know these topics have came up before, but I am looking for an 8wt rod and reel for salmon and steelhead. I have looked around and was wondering if STH reels are decent. The cartrige system looks pretty cool. Any suggestions? I really don't want to spend more than $250. Thanks in advance,

IFG <(()><

2. being politically correct sucks

http://www.cabelas.com

while you are there, sign up for a free catalog and make sure you choose the flyfishing one. they have good prices on stuff for all price ranges.

~sean~

3. WWGrigg at Outdoor emporium, and an Okuma Magnitude reel, then the backing and the line will keep you under the $200 range.

Nope, the WWGrigg rods won't cast a country mile like a Sage XP, but I have fished for salmon and steelhead for 2 years with mine, and its fine for all but the heaviest shooting heads, and the longest casts. The Magnitude reel is getting rave reviews everywhere for its inexpensiveness and its quality.

And at the Outdoor emporium, you can get a Type 4 sink tip by SA for about $39, backing for about $10, and you will be set.

Rob
    ---------
    Genetic pollution damages wild
    stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!

4. I find the WW Grigg rods (IM6 graphite) are a great deal for a "presentation" rod, but I'd go with a Temple Fork Outfitters for a great deal on a distance rod. My girlfirend's rod is a Grigg, while mine is the TFO. You can get a two piece TFO for well under $100. They're available online or through Ruddick's Fly Shop up in Vancouver, B.C. Ruddick's is also online, but they don't do online sales.

5. So, you really think that TFO rods are that much stiffer, and able to cast distance?

Give me some more info, I am really curious, and in the market for something stiffer.

Rob
    ---------

6. Rob,
    I don't own one, but check out www.danblanton.com - he took some TFO's on a trip to Australia and has a good write up - there also also tons of post about happy TFO owners .

Irish - the only suggestions I have is to get a 4-5 piece rod if your budget allows...easier to pack on trips, hikes etc. AND get a multitip line system - will cost more intially, but after your buy 4-5 flylines and spare spools to meet all the conditions, you'll be way ahead with the multitip system, and more nimble in the water.

Jim W

7. TL,

Yes, I can truthfully state that my IM6 6wt TFO is definitely more stiffer than my woman's Grigg. I've noticed that I can feel flexing into the butt when I double haul the Grigg. This isn't the case with my TFO. As a matter of fact, this is so much so that I sometimes feel that I need to work on the rhythm of my cast and the breaking of my wrist in the power stroke to better exploit what still seems in reserve. Also, TFO offers an IM8 rod for even faster/stiffer action. TFO, if I rightly recall, has finally got their website up and running. However, I don't rightly recall the address. Good luck on that. As I have said before, Ruddick's in Vancouver B.C. carries the line. And if you buy one, don't expect a fancy case. The company usually only provides this B.S. plastic tube.

8. http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/

And no sweat on the case, I build my own rods, too, so I have all sorts of funky cases. I'm gonna put one of their rods on my short list.

As I like to say, its not about the rod, the line, the reel or the case, its about the fish one catches with it.
    ---------

9. Does anyone know of a dealer or website where I can buy one of these temple fork rods. I'd like to cast one before I buy too. The link to the manufacturer was very informative, but no retailers in Washington. :HMMM YT

10. What do I know---I'm just an old man

I was doing the same this summer,wanting a 8wt. So I had a buddy make one for me. An 9'6" 8wt out of a Avid blank(St Croix). Now that I have it I just can't seem to cast it. It makes me feel like I did something wrong just to have it. Maybe I'm Just not supposed to go out and catch any big fish. So I seem to stick to my 5wt which I like. It feels like that extra 6" is a drag. This is not going anywhere I just had to get it off my chest.

Jim

11. There are lots of online sales outlets, but Ruddick's in Vancouver B.C. is the only shop in the greater region I've been to that carries them. I'd be willing to let you give mine a try if I wasn't staring at the vague possibility of getting a job on a Matson container ship this weekend. Otherwise I'd be more open to pencilling you in on Saturday. If I don't ship out, is there a way I can contact you? I live in Seattle, just south of Woodland Park Zoo. You can email me through this website.

12. Sage is introducing a new model called the LE. I think a 2 piece rod is about $170, and the 4 piece is $195. And, the Redington Wayfarer is a kick butt deal, too, a 5 piece rod for $195 retail.

Tough to beat Sage for quality and service! And, you know they will be around for a long time. Not dinging Temple Fork, but will the company be a viable entity, say, in 5 years when and if you need your rod repaired? If you fish much, it will be 'when'. A lifetime warranty doesn't do you any good if the company is no longer in business. Check out the recent demise of Powell fly rods.

Just a few things to consider.

13. STH reel

I have two STH reels, both of them cassette models, and both are upper-end machined reels. One is the saltwater version, and it's pretty skookum.

The cassette concept is pretty cool, really. However, I would be careful about the lower-priced cassette reels. It seems they weren't, or aren't, that durable, for most reports I've seen.

If you're thinking of buying a cassette reel, check out the Orvis large arbor Rocky Mountain series. The reel is like $75, and the spools are maybe $15.

What I like about cassettes in that they are "clean" to carry around, i.e. they have no handles sticking out like a standard spool, no gears (with oil or grease), no drag tabs, etc., sticking out of them, so they transport very easily in a pocket or vest.

14. I am also looking into an 8wt rod and reel and I saw that riverwire.com has the 9' 8wt 5pc on sale for $165, $30 off retail and they have free shipping and no tax. I ordered one a few days ago and am eagerly awaiting it's arrival! After that i'm going looking/shopping around for an 8wt reel. I was going to hold off getting the 8wt set up until early next spring, but I got the itch :THUMBSUP and with the sale on the rod that I wanted to get anyways, I couldn't resist. Just more fishing toys!

15. I've got a WWGrigg 8/9 wt, and a buddy with the same rod. After a couple of days casting it, the ferrules started cracking and in short order, the rod was a useless noodle. I took it back to Outdoor Emporium and they gave me a new one off the shelf (killer customer service, eh?). Recently, the same thing happened to my buddy. Ferrules cracked just like mine. He sent his back to WWGrigg and they're replacing it.

So, careful on the going with the Grigg. I haven't had any trouble lately, but I'm just waiting for it to fail again. Ack!

-ptn

16. In my experience, Sage makes one of the best rods out there in either the XP for faster stiffer actions in wind and distance work, and the softer VPS,(which is also a bit less expensive), for less strident casting, less distance and wind work. Not that the VPS can' throw allot of line, it really can, but the stiffer XP can do it for you with less work. Look for a 10 foot rod maybe, lots of advantage to that. trey Combs talks about that in his books too. I love the Ross Reels and wont use anything else. It took over 22 years of experience to arrive at that conclusion, and I have gotten rid of all the cheap reels that were going to save me money. If you buy the best to begin with you won't be sorry. You can save money and pack a lunch, turn down the heat, walk to work etc... but don't buy cheap stuff.

17. Well, if one is worried about replacing a broken rod in the face of the vague possibility of a company going out of business, for the price of a Sage, you can buy two or more Temple Fork rods and just keep one for fishing and repairing and the other(s) in reserve until the company does go under. Also, the TFO casts bette than the Redington Wayfarer. When I was in Baltimore at Tochterman's Tackle, they let me comparison cast both rods. The cheaper rod won. I used the money I saved to buy a reel that was on sale. :pROFESSOR However, to honest, if I had the money to burn, I would get a Sage.

18. Richard,

So, where did Sage cut the corners to suddenly be able to produce a less than $200 fly rod? Nothing like a little competition to rethink your pricing & marketing, eh? Appears the market for $700 fly rods isn't all that great...I'll bet THAT was an interesting meeting to attend.

By the way, Powell, under the management of Charles Schwaab, was dealt a very bad hand to play through corporate ignorance and micromanagement. It turns out that Powell was bought by the guy overseeing the daily operations; still in business and going strong. I had the opportunity to cast an 8wt Tiburon recently...very nice rod.

If a Redington 5-piece is a "kick butt deal for $195" as you say you might want to try a TFO 4-piece saltwater for $150. I've tried both and can honestly say I prefer the TFO. In fact, I can tell you from personal experience, Rick Pope (President of TFO) is committed to quality and customer service. Several months ago I bought a TFO Saltwater 9wt as a backup/guest rod for my boat. The alignment marks were slightly off. I sent an email to Burleson's (http://burfish.com) where I bought it from telling Mike Burleson of the problem and immediately received a reply email from Rick Pope (President of TFO) telling me a replacement was enroute to me via express mail and all I needed to do was ship the one I had back to him so he could have the evidence on hand to correct the manufacturing problem. He included the return postage along with the replacement rod. 2 days later I had the replacement. A problem? Sure it was. You get that sometimes regardless of the brand name. Was it handled without pain to my satisfaction? Oh, yeah, big time.

That TFO 9wt has since landed 15 Chum in the last 2 weeks. Though I may not be the FFF Washington State Casting Champion, I can honestly tell you the TFO rod is one smooth and comfortable casting rod; 100ft with a Rio Aqualux Striper line with barely an effort. If you can cast, the rod will send the line. It has a superb taper and defintely has butt strength. Though I may not approach your experience (I've only been flyfishing for 34 years and my arsenal consists of T&T Horizons in 5-10 weights) I can tell you these TFO rods are certainly no rods to sneeze at. Your opinion may differ which they probably will.

Will TFO be around in the future? My guess is yes. Could they be bought out like the countless other fly rod manufacturers of the past? Of course they can. Hey, look at Redington...Redstart in '95, import everything flyfishing from New Zeland, Korea and China to increase profitablility, get bought out by Orvis and immediately gain the divine revelation that more $$$ can be made going it alone, buy it all back, trash the big selling reels (AR & AS) as part of the buy back, tell the world of the latest and greatest reel to replace them and then don't deliver it. Murphy woke up. Will Redington be around 5 years from now? Probably. Will TFO? Probably. Most folks like the low to mid range pricing for competetive quality and service. Question is, will Sage be around with their $700 lineup?

Bottom line: Fly rods are tools. Buy the best tools you can afford that serve your purposes. There's a lot out there to choose from. Don't get bogged down with the "Chicken Little" syndrome of "the sky's falling" and they may not be in business 10 years from now. After all, this is a sport to be enjoyed and not agonized over.

Greg

19. I agree with little stone, I also fish a Sage with a Ross reel, and it is a great setup...However, if you are on a budget, (which most of us are), I would make sure that I spent more on the reel than the rod in your case. If you are buying an eight weight to throw at salmon and steelhead(I'm assuming), you will want a nice smooth disc drag to stop those bad boys. A really good rod might slightly help your casting, but a good reel will save your rod. My Ross Cimarron does the trick nicely and it costs about $155. I have never casted a TFO rod, but it sounds like they have gotten good reviews, and at under $100, it would put you right around $250...oh, and then there is line, backing, sink-tips, flies, tying materials, and an endless assortment of "necessities" Man, no wonder I am so broke.....