Pattern Sand Lance patterns

That is a crazy looking fly Jack, very cool! I know what you're talking about with the rigged eels, wish I had tried frozen instead of battling live ones! Is the rear hook attached with mono like a standard stinger?

That is a crazy looking fly Jack, very cool! I know what you're talking about with the rigged eels, wish I had tried frozen instead of battling live ones! Is the rear hook attached with mono like a standard stinger?
Yes, mono on this one like standard stinger. In the case of the ones I tied for Stripers, I used wire and 34007 3/0 and 1/0 hooks. Possiblity of 50lb + bass (my biggest only 35lb) and always possibility of Bluefish.
jack

Sandlance flatwing... Cutthroat approved. 3 Searuns and a Resident Silver proved this fly today. This one went just over 16" and fought like hell. Great way to finish a tough July. Thanks for getting me thinking about Sandlance Jack!

July Cutt.jpg

Still playing around with Sand Lance patterns. Tied these flat wings and tried them yesterday. The Cutts liked them and I got a vote of approval from a resident silver.

PS. I know that a Sand Lance and a Candlefish are not the same "animal".:) View attachment 17516

Great Flatwings Jack! I haven't been back to the vice in a week, and I want to keep working on flatwings. It's amazing how well they move, perfect for a sandlance imitator. I've got an idea about a flatwing coho attractor I've got to put together too.

Mike T

Where are you guys finding the flatwing hackle? I've looked but haven't been able to run it down.

I know this is close to asking about favorite rocks to fish from, but I gotta ask.

Mike T,
If you want the really best flatwing hackles get Whiting Flatwing hackle necks. $30-$40. That's the ticket for big flatwings. Beautiful stuff. For the smaller flies, I'm just using packages of strung saddles. Plenty of color varieties available and there are usually some good long ones mixed in with the shorter wide hackles. Spirit River is a good brand.
Jack

Mike T

Mike T,
If you want the really best flatwing hackles get Whiting Flatwing hackle necks. $30-$40. That's the ticket for big flatwings. Beautiful stuff. For the smaller flies, I'm just using packages of strung saddles. Plenty of color varieties available and there are usually some good long ones mixed in with the shorter wide hackles. Spirit River is a good brand.
Jack
Thank you Jack!