NFR The no fishing fishing report.. from downtown Bellevue!

Brad Niemeyer

Old School Member
I have to ask:
Who made that rule?
Why?
And who was enforcing it?

I'd guess there is no fishing at that cement pond ( no fish) Casting looks like fishing so folks who don't know the difference get confused. I would think casting on the lawn would be perfectly permissible, so on the pond should also be.

I'd go back and sooner or later folks will get used to it.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Ha, that brings back memories! Fall of '68 I was beginning my freshman year at U of W, and I went over to Bellevue to play poker with some friends whom I hadn't seen for a couple of years. In the wee hours, as the poker game ended, our clouded judgement sent us on a mission...to wake up the security guards in Bellevue Square! Sure enough, the one we found was dozing in his rig. We put him back on the job in short order, with bright headlights and a honking horn. He didn't like that, so he called the cops. They showed up pronto and pulled us over. But they thought it was sort of funny, and let us go!
I'll bet they put those guards on Segways and said, "Ha, we'd like to see you try to sleep on the job on that thing!"

Was he dressed in a white polo shirt, with a bike helmet on, riding a segway? If so, that's probably KDC security, aka mall cop from Bell Square. Last I checked, those guys shouldn't have sh*t for jurisdiction in a public park. Next time, get his information and have Reggie write a letter to the city about it.

flybill

Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!
I have to ask:
Who made that rule?
Why?
And who was enforcing it?

I'd guess there is no fishing at that cement pond ( no fish) Casting looks like fishing so folks who don't know the difference get confused. I would think casting on the lawn would be perfectly permissible, so on the pond should also be.

I'd go back and sooner or later folks will get used to it.
City of Bellevue I guess, but don't know for sure... the guy told Leland our backcasts were dangerous to others in the park.. total bs.. He was a private security gaurd, don't recall the company.

Anyway its worked out now, since we can get a permit for this and then still teach down there... Don't know why a permit would make it any safer, but that's the case... maybe they'll rope off the area or make the guard stand behind use and direct others in the park away from backcasts...

Old Man

Just an Old Man
City of Bellevue I guess, but don't know for sure... the guy told Leland our backcasts were dangerous to others in the park.. total bs.. He was a private security gaurd, don't recall the company.

Anyway its worked out now, since we can get a permit for this and then still teach down there... Don't know why a permit would make it any safer, but that's the case... maybe they'll rope off the area or make the guard stand behind use and direct others in the park away from backcasts...
You all know that people are curious and they always want to stand behind you when you practice casting. I noticed that when we used to play around at lake Tye in Monroe. You had to stop and ask them to move.

Fly casting is not like other types of fishing where there isn't any back casting going on.