Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

The no fishing fishing report.. from downtown Bellevue!

NFR 
2K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  Old Man 
#1 ·
So many of you know that I now work at Orvis in Bellevue.. well tonight at our free fly casting class in the Bellevue Park, we were told we aren't allowed to cast on the pond there.. by a private security guard who we don't even know if he was with the park... yes, sad but true!

But there's more....

I've helped out with this for the past two years and never had a problem, other than being told by a lady last year that we were harassing the ducks! True too!

Anyway, we wrapped up the class early and hung out and smoked cigars, at least Leland and I did while we waited for one of the kids to get picked up by his dad.. Sort of an impromptu sit in!

Just had to share, since I really don't post much these days and found it amusing... of course none of the people throwing balls or frisbees were told to stop, but our fly lines were a danger to the public.. :)

So be careful out there, or get your carry permit for your fly rod and yarn.. I'll be back out this weekend to "test" the ruling or thumb my nose at the man and you may even see it on the news..

FlyBill - wanted in Bellevue now for un-lisenced use of a fly rod with yarn and duck harrasser!

ps - does this go on my permanent record?

See less See more
#7 ·
Security harrasses us when we fish near the dam, even well below the can line. I love ignoring security. I don't pay attention until the cops come, and barely then. The dam security is a running joke around here. They're in the paper at least once a week for turning in one of their own workers for being in a restricted area.

#9 ·
About 20 years ago I was helping my boss load some high-end computers into his car one late Sunday night to take to a conference. This was back in the day when computers were worth about $15K and were really heavy, so we parked on the grass next to a dark and out of the way back door that was closest to our offices at the hospital where we worked. I had been doing yard work all day so was pretty scruffy - my boss wasn't any better dressed.

Sure enough, some security guard comes huffing over, and I thought, OK, here we go. All he had to say was "Hey - you can't park that car on the grass - move it!"

Seems like that job hasn't evolved much since then.

#10 ·
I was at martha lake (am) park mid april cold out! Practicing spey casting. Park ranger come said no fishing in the swimming area. No swimmers to cold.I said I'm not fishing I'm practicing casting and showed him the yarn on the end of my leader. He said "oh! no practicing casting in swimming area" not evan mention fishing was closed! That ended my practice.. What are you going to do

#18 ·
Ha, that brings back memories! Fall of '68 I was beginning my freshman year at U of W, and I went over to Bellevue to play poker with some friends whom I hadn't seen for a couple of years. In the wee hours, as the poker game ended, our clouded judgement sent us on a mission...to wake up the security guards in Bellevue Square! Sure enough, the one we found was dozing in his rig. We put him back on the job in short order, with bright headlights and a honking horn. He didn't like that, so he called the cops. They showed up pronto and pulled us over. But they thought it was sort of funny, and let us go!
I'll bet they put those guards on Segways and said, "Ha, we'd like to see you try to sleep on the job on that thing!"

Was he dressed in a white polo shirt, with a bike helmet on, riding a segway? If so, that's probably KDC security, aka mall cop from Bell Square. Last I checked, those guys shouldn't have sh*t for jurisdiction in a public park. Next time, get his information and have Reggie write a letter to the city about it.

#17 ·
I have to ask:
Who made that rule?
Why?
And who was enforcing it?

I'd guess there is no fishing at that cement pond ( no fish) Casting looks like fishing so folks who don't know the difference get confused. I would think casting on the lawn would be perfectly permissible, so on the pond should also be.

I'd go back and sooner or later folks will get used to it.

#21 ·
I have to ask:
Who made that rule?
Why?
And who was enforcing it?

I'd guess there is no fishing at that cement pond ( no fish) Casting looks like fishing so folks who don't know the difference get confused. I would think casting on the lawn would be perfectly permissible, so on the pond should also be.

I'd go back and sooner or later folks will get used to it.
City of Bellevue I guess, but don't know for sure... the guy told Leland our backcasts were dangerous to others in the park.. total bs.. He was a private security gaurd, don't recall the company.

Anyway its worked out now, since we can get a permit for this and then still teach down there... Don't know why a permit would make it any safer, but that's the case... maybe they'll rope off the area or make the guard stand behind use and direct others in the park away from backcasts...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.