Lifting wild fish

daveypetey

I am interested to know the data behind the law. Anyone have a link to the state or university study that resulted in the passage of the law? It seems that the caloric expendature of catching the fish would be MUCH, MUCH more detrimental to the length of time the fish can successfully spawn than 20-30 seconds out of the water. I know I will get flammed for this observation, but I work in a data supported field and cannot find (google) any legitimate papers/studies to support this law. I am neither pro nor con on the law, but I am strongly against legislation that is fanned by emotion and no solid, well documented factual basis.

Chris Bellows

Your Preferred WFF Poster
I am interested to know the data behind the law. Anyone have a link to the state or university study that resulted in the passage of the law? It seems that the caloric expendature of catching the fish would be MUCH, MUCH more detrimental to the length of time the fish can successfully spawn than 20-30 seconds out of the water. I know I will get flammed for this observation, but I work in a data supported field and cannot find (google) any legitimate papers/studies to support this law. I am neither pro nor con on the law, but I am strongly against legislation that is fanned by emotion and no solid, well documented factual basis.
http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/f92-129#.UOm50rY1bhE

daveypetey

AWESOME. Thanks for the article. The abstract is interesting. Chris do you have a membership to the journal? Could you send me the full PDF? What was the n for the study? Any other abnormalities in the methods? I would love to send this out to friends.

Jergens

AKA Joe Willauer
I don't know about that one, there are lots of guides out there and if I ever did want to pay someone to put me into fish I wouldn't pick the guy with the dry hero shots of native fish. I guess that doesn't matter to most of the clients out there looking to pay their way to catching steel. I would much rather go with someone thats a little more respectful of the wild stock.
Iagree and also wouldn't hire a guide from a discount craigslist ad.

I find his numbers very hard to believe. One to two thirds of rainbow fish caught and then released die? Shouldn't i be seeing dead fish everywhere?
You probably would if everyone were holding their fish out of the water for 60 seconds like they did in the study.

daveypetey

Matt-

Do you have the full PDF of the study? 60 seconds is a long time. I would like to read their methods if anyone has a full copy of this or any of the other studies I'm coming across online. It's always just the abstract.

Freestone

Not to be confused with freestoneangler
Matt-

Do you have the full PDF of the study? 60 seconds is a long time. I would like to read their methods if anyone has a full copy of this or any of the other studies I'm coming across online. It's always just the abstract.
Clink on the word LINK in Chris Bellow's post. It allowed me to read the whole article.

John Hicks

Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits
So let's do a human study. Let's take 100 guys from the board, chosen at random or ones that are chosen for being "biters" (ones that post on a lot of threads). We take them down to the local high school track field, have them run 800 meters being dragged down by a linebacker the whole way. When they finish the run, take their head and shove it under water for 60 seconds. How many of you would die of a heart attack, or drown? 10%? 20%? more?

shawn k

who really gives a shit? I get tired of you holier than thou people that post this stuff every year. Nobody is ever going to get a ticket for violating Sparkey's law so why waste you time and energy on it.