Flies for OS

Salmo_g

Getting a bit ahead of myself already, but I started thinking about flies to use for Occupy Skagit. I think I'd rather not waste good hooks by clipping them at the bend. So I noticed all these paper clips in my desk drawer. I'm thinking about bending the large bend nearly closed to make an eye. I need to get to work on one with some pliers to see if this is feasible. If it is, it would be an el cheapo Waddington shank with nothing to tie a hook on the tail end.

Next step is a suitable OS fly pattern. My inclination is to alternate palmered red, white, and blue marabou.

Sg

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
If I go, I'm simply going to tie a piece of yarn to the end to the tippet. Pretty easy. Why even bother with even tieing on a cut off shank (or a waddington)?

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Getting a bit ahead of myself already, but I started thinking about flies to use for Occupy Skagit. I think I'd rather not waste good hooks by clipping them at the bend. So I noticed all these paper clips in my desk drawer. I'm thinking about bending the large bend nearly closed to make an eye. I need to get to work on one with some pliers to see if this is feasible. If it is, it would be an el cheapo Waddington shank with nothing to tie a hook on the tail end.

Next step is a suitable OS fly pattern. My inclination is to alternate palmered red, white, and blue marabou.

Sg
You're acting like you might get a grab or something! :)

Rob Allen

I'd tie up a dozen fully dressed Jock Scotts or partridge M hooks size 4/0 should do it.... then clip them off at the bend...

or

Why not fish skaters?????

actually the cotter pin with a clump pf marabou sounds good to me

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
Sure, if they're cured right. I've cast into a tree and yard armed out a baited hook that had already been through the drift a few times. BUT....I know how to cure up eggs right. Lol