A Sea Run's eating habits

If you really believe that the only requirements for the best fly are that it moves and fits in their mouth why would you fish anything but the simplest of patterns? #10 hook with a thread body retrieved very slowly should work as well as anything else. Your fly will spend more time in the feeding zone and you won't get tired from making lots of casts..
Let's not be a smart ass now. You knew what the man meant.

Excerpt from Fly Fishing Inshore Saltwaters for Pacific Salmon by Richard Stoll

"Of particular importance to pre-migration juvenile Coho salmon are the free-swimming megalops larvae of the Dungeness crab. Megalops larvae occur in very large numbers in northern salt waters from the spring to fall. They range in the water column from the surface to 75 feet deep, mostly depending on the time of day. Fisheries biologists have postulated that in some years juvenile Coho can feed so heavily on these larvae as to affect adult crab populations in future years."

Thought this was a pretty relevant considering the thread. If the Coho are feeding that heavily on megalops larvae, there is no way the Cutthroat aren't. I think you're right Kelvin, probably a good pattern to have in the box. Stoll developed his Green Weenie as an imitation of the megalops larvae, and he swears by it. I've got a dozen of them tied up in UV chartruese, white, and pink for Coho last year, I'll have to start fishing them for summer cutts. Could be interesting.
I agree with Steve here. I just picked up Richards book and it has some excellent information and patterns worth checking out.

Hmmm. I am wondering if you could indicator dead drift a somewhat similar pattern in moving water and have any luck? I will hopefully be trying it this weekend.

Also a question for everyone, when do the chum fry enter the sound? As early as late Feb or early March?

Hmmm. I am wondering if you could indicator dead drift a somewhat similar pattern in moving water and have any luck? I will hopefully be trying it this weekend.

Also a question for everyone, when do the chum fry enter the sound? As early as late Feb or early March?
Using an indicator for dead driftinga a crab pattern should work. In the past I used an indicator to dead drift an amphipod pattern with success when a school of resident coho is feeding on the surface when eating amphipods.

Oct.(early run timing) spawning chum normally have their fry start outmigrating by mid-March. While Nov.(normal run timing) spawning chum have their fry normally start outmigrating by early April or a little later.

Roger

mbowers

If I really believed that was the requirement for the BEST fly I would have said so. Don't put words in my mouth.

By the way, some of the best cutthroat fishermen I know, who've been doing it for 50+ years use nothing but an olive wooly bugger, catch more fish than you or I, and can't understand the mania to match the hatch for one of the most opportunistic feeders in the sound.
Fair enough I should have used "one" instead of "you" as I was just raising the question: if a cutthroat only uses movement and size to determine prey why would one use anything but the simplest fly with a retrieve that keeps the fly in the zone the longest?

I fully agree they are very opportunistic and I will happily use the same fly all day unless I'm making great casts to working fish and getting rejected more than a couple of times. Then I'm changing flies and it's not going to be to an adult crab fly. :)

Using an indicator for dead driftinga a crab pattern should work. In the past I used an indicator to dead drift an amphipod pattern with success when a school of resident coho is feeding on the surface when eating amphipods.

Oct.(early run timing) spawning chum normally have their fry start outmigrating by mid-March. While Nov.(normal run timing) spawning chum have their fry normally start outmigrating by early April or a little later.

Roger
Shouldn't silver fry be out even earlier?

Pat Lat

Mad Flyentist
Shouldn't silver fry be out even earlier?
chum fry move into the salt when they are still fry, I believe coho fry stay in the freshwater longer.
Also chum often spawn in water very close to the salt, creeks like minter, chico and some of the other small creeks dont have much space for millions of little fish, so they move out into the salt while still very small.

: if a cutthroat only uses movement and size to determine prey why would one use anything but the simplest fly with a retrieve that keeps the fly in the zone the longest?
:)
Who said cutthroat only use size and movement to determine prey? Not me.

Two of the major food sources for cutthroat (per study by Dr. Joe Jacquet, not anecdotal evidence read here) are clam necks and salmonid eggs.

I got a great one Kelvin, a tiny bit of "white rabbit" on a little hook. A few years ago a friend said he talked to a real old guy and thats all he ever used for cutts, and said he always did well. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.
How did he retrieve it? Or did her dead drift it?