Waders

Tacoma Red

I'd like advice and opinion if you please on getting a new pair of breathable waders. Although I'd just love to spend >>$500 it's just not really in my allowable fly fishing budget...unless I make secret installment payments!;)

What would you recommend and avoid, especially seam vs. non-seam? I understand layering but warmth is important.

Thanks much,
TR

BDD

I have heard good things about the new welded waders such as ones from Redington. I think Orvis makes something similar. Historically I have had great luck with my Cabelas Dri-Plus and Simms G3 though I just ordered a new pair of Redingtons to try for myself.

E

Evan Virnoche

I picked up last years sims free stones with welded seems for 250. Pacific fly fishers has some deal right now too Simms and Patagonia. I suggest buying last years models if u want a price break

Dan Nelson

Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum
I have heard good things about the new welded waders such as ones from Redington. I think Orvis makes something similar. Historically I have had great luck with my Cabelas Dri-Plus and Simms G3 though I just ordered a new pair of Redingtons to try for myself.
Actually, Redington is licensed to use Orvis' technology -- Orvis developed the sonic welding on waders technique. Their Silver Sonic waders are among the best I've used at a great price. I love their design on the convertible top. http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=5H5E

I also have come to love Patagonia's waders. They, too, do a great job on the convertible design (chest section folds away so you can wear the waders and waist-high pants). They cost a bit more, though, and they tend to have a more athletic cut.

Can't complain about Redington's offerings either -- I lke their zip-fronts as much as I like Simms' zip front even though the Redington's are half the price of the SImms. Also note that testers who handle women-specific gear for me swear Redington is the ONLY way to go for women's waders.

What Dan Nelson said re: Redington SonicPro's. I love my zipfronts! at a price 1/2 that of Simms and Redington's reputation for customer service, how can one consider any others.

bakerite

On the budget side, my Albright waders (around 40 on one of their 80% off sales) have worked fine for over a year, no leaks yet.

Achilles

Actually, Redington is licensed to use Orvis' technology -- Orvis developed the sonic welding on waders technique. Their Silver Sonic waders are among the best I've used at a great price. I love their design on the convertible top. http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=5H5E

I also have come to love Patagonia's waders. They, too, do a great job on the convertible design (chest section folds away so you can wear the waders and waist-high pants). They cost a bit more, though, and they tend to have a more athletic cut.

Can't complain about Redington's offerings either -- I lke their zip-fronts as much as I like Simms' zip front even though the Redington's are half the price of the SImms. Also note that testers who handle women-specific gear for me swear Redington is the ONLY way to go for women's waders.
I agree with this statement about the Patagonia waders. My father has had his for almost 5 years now and he puts them through their paces. Nice wader.

Itchy Dog

Some call me Kirk Werner
Echo the sentiments for the Redington Sonic Pro zippers. Have had them for a year, no issues. And if there were a problem, Redington is close by and has great customer service.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
I've been wearing Redington Sonic Pros for about a year and a half. I really like them for comfort and fit.
I had one issue with a seam, although they never leaked. As usual when needed, Redington provided great customer service.

My next pair will be the zipper fronts, as that is a feature that looks more appealing the older I get. ;)
SF