Lightest 8wt Spey Reel?

Big K1

Large Member
Check out some Loop reels. Why do you want the lightest reel?
Lots of reels weigh in at around the same weight. Reel weight is
not really a issue with a two hander.

Kevin

Philster

Loop 3W at 6.7 oz. You really don't need to be overly concerned about weight. The best combo I've ever held is a Sage 13.5 7wt and a tibor riptide at 9.5 oz. Another personal favorite is the Pate tarpon at over 13 oz. on 14 ft 9wt rods. I have a never used loop 4 I would consider selling. Around 9 oz.

Kevin and Phil are right: reel weight isn't very important with a spey rod... On the other hand, above a certain point, you begin to feel that you're wasting the advantage of a light rod. The Lamson Velocity 4 is listed at 6.5 oz. (WF10/250 yes. 30#); that probably is the lightweight champ. I also like my G. Ryall #10 small arbor at 6.7 oz. (WF10/200 yds. 20#).

When you consider spey reel weight, you might want to keep in mind, that your rod works more efficiently when you balance it with the reel, and line weight.

Thanks for all your input guys, you are all a big help.
More likely I'll go the Litespeed or Velocity 4, I'm already use to the smooooth conical drag.

Peter ><>

Mark 12:30-31

Richard E

Disagree with you, Phil, but in a good way about your comment "You really don't need to be overly concerned about weight".

Reel weight is a consideration, but in a different perspective than for one-handed sticks. Because of the longer rod length and the mass therefore being moved 'forward' from the grip, it is sometimes preferable to err on the side of a 'heavier' reel to help balance the rod better.

I would likely go for a heavier reel than the comparable Litespeed, to get the right balance.

My $0.02:thumb

Philster

>Disagree with you, Phil, but in a good way about your
>comment "You really don't need to be overly concerned
>about weight".
>
>Reel weight is a consideration, but in a different
>perspective than for one-handed sticks. Because of the
>longer rod length and the mass therefore being moved
>'forward' from the grip, it is sometimes preferable to
>err on the side of a 'heavier' reel to help balance the
>rod better.
>
Kinda what I meant Ricardo when I said "You really don't need to be overly concerned about weight." It may not have been clear but I meant you don't need to be concerned about going light. You'll note my preferences, including the pate, and the Abel 4.5N I didn't mention. I like 'em heavy, single handed or double handed. My reels are always at least one line size over the rod size. As in 12 wt reel on a 10 wt. rod. It's always worked better for me and my ass-backwards casting mechanics.