Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Puget Sound SRC fly swap

Swap 
7K views 73 replies 11 participants last post by  Polar Shrimp 
#1 ·
Anyone interested in doing a swap for Sea Run flies used on the beach? I know that a lot of people don't used a lot of variety when plying the salt, but I figured it could be a fun swap. I am building a brand new beach rod that I hope to finish in a week or two and wouldn't mind getting a batch of wonderful flies to take along on its virgin outing! If I get enough interest I'll host a mail swap. Signup deadline of 3/17/13 and mailing deadline of 4/7/13.

Tyers
Gary Knowels - Sea Run Bugger from Nativetroutflyfishing.com DONE
Eyejuggler - Reversed Spider RECEIVED
Nailbender - baitfish pattern RECEIVED
Steve Knapp - topwater tube slider RECEIVED
Chris Bellows - surface pattern RECEIVED
Pat lat - popper patterns
Ben Guss - yellow/orange tube spider RECEIVED
Bob Triggs - Little Stone's chum baby
Kelvin - Double K Reverse Spider RECEIVED
lap dog - snot dart RECEIVED

10 tyers total. Please tie 10 flies of a single pattern (you'll get one back, its just WAY easier to sort out this way) if you want to tie a second pattern feel free. Please get the flies in the mail by 4/7/13, but clearly the earlier the better.

Thanks for joining and I'm looking forward to seeing all the great patterns!

See less See more
#35 ·
Thanks! i like the pattern a lot. I've never tied with Lady Amherst tippets before, but that isn't surprising as there are many many materials that I've yet to play with.

#46 ·
perfect timing - i just typed up instructions to send in with the flies - i'll try to tie on up on camera in the next week and post it here if you're interested.

Fryder
Hook - Gamakatsu SC15 #4
Thread - Uni 6/0 White
Tail - White Super Hair (tapered) - coat with Softex just past the bend of hook
The tie in Pearl Green Angel Hair over and then pull back tag ends underneath.
Body - Holographic Cactus Chenille (Silver/Gold) 2-3 wraps
Head - Thin piece of White 1/8" foam or other sheet foam - poke hole in
center and fold back and tie in a ways back from hook eye. Cut off tag ends
apply 2.0 Yellow Prismatic Tape Eyes to the flat sides.
Finish - Coat foam head with Flex Clear Cure Goo - after curing coat with Hard as
Hull head cement.

#48 ·
I might redo one or two but pretty much ready to go. I only did 4 with chenille, the rest with dubbed bodies, a technique that challenges me, but after busting these out I definitely feel I have become more competent. I varied the colors and will probably send 12 and let Gary disperse them as he sees fit. Been a first for me and mildly stressful to have a timeline, but it only helped to sharpen my focus. :)
I am a noob at this so I hope they will be passable!
Thanks guys
Dave

#54 ·
Received flies from Chris bellows, nailbender, and lap dog today. Excellent quality flies. If this is any indication of the swap as a whole I will be VERY pleased!

#57 ·
I forgot to take some photos, but I tied my version of Lelands popper on a tube, pair it with a Gami SC15-4. Over the last couple of seasons I've seen a ton of herring around, although the recent thread on their decline has made me think! I wanted to tie a fly with blues, purples, gold and white and came up with this combination. I have tried literally dozens of color combos in surface patterns and this has by far been my best producer. My three biggest Cutts, all over 18", came on this fly. I also understand the theories about color not mattering in a waking slider type fly, but what the Hell, it's been working!

Hope you guys enjoy them

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

#59 ·
Yep, no problem. I meant to include hooks, but I ran out and after three shops being sold out I gave up and shipped them. All you do is run your tippet through the fly, tie on the hook, then pull the hook into the hook keeper. The shank of the hook and the knot will be hidden inside the hook keeper. When you hook a fish many times the fly will slide up the leader, away from the hook. That's about it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

#61 ·
I've received a few more over the weekend and updated the original post as to whose flies I have received. Looks like we are only waiting on Pat Lat and Bob Triggs. As soon as I get those I'll sort them out and get them shipped off ASAP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.