Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Tips on Observing Chum Fry

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Chester Allen 
#1 ·
I visited two Southsound beaches this morning. They both had chum fry. One had feeding searuns. Here's a few tips on finding chum fry:

1. Be a heron. Go at the turn of the highest tide. Walk the beach slowly and crouch low. Stand in one spot at the waters edge and scan the beach beginning with your feet. Put your poloroids to work as they are very small and tough to see.

2. The fry at one beach were within three feet of the waters edge. At the second shallower beach, they were schooled up in six inches of water.

The feeding searuns in the video were small. I caught on on Bob Triggs' Chum Baby. It was only 10 inches and fat.

Leland.

#5 ·
2. The fry at one beach were within three feet of the waters edge. At the second shallower beach, they were schooled up in six inches of water.
I also saw this in Hood Canal on Tuesday. The several small schools of fry that I noticed were within a few feet of the waterline.

#8 ·
" The several small schools of fry that I noticed were within a few feet of the waterline."
I've not seen very many yet. But small schools of maybe 12 - 15 baby chums at a time at a couple beaches, and none at others.
All have been within inches of the shore - probably for good reason!
In years past there were a few occasions where I'd see cutthroats (and Bulls, on one particular beach) slashing at the fry right next to shore - at my feet. This would happen at one beach I used to fish regularly that had a deep hole at one end, and a shoal that the fry would wash up over with the current. Usually happened just before dark. It was one of those "PBS nature show moments" when I'd stop fishing just to observe and witness Mom Nature doing her thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.