What's your worst skunking ever?

hydrological

beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto
I was skunked 18 different days over 2 months while hunting Rainbow Trout on the same Rocky Mountain lake before landing a 15lb 4oz monster. After that I caught one fish every 2 trips.
Here's an example of a C&R 14lber:
photoshop alert ! dead fish, no water dripping off, and see the eye ? live trout always look towards home. guilty until proven innocent :eek:

silver creek schooled me more than once. 8-10 18-24" fish on mahoganies in a row, all lost in the weeds one day. my best day onany spring creek ever !

Eric Denny

Summer is over but I'm still fishing!!
When I was first relearning I must have went a good 7-8 trips and didn't catch nothing it was bad. Had me wondering if I really had did this as a kid.lol But I do have a happy ending when I did finally land one it was 19'' so thats the good news.lol it was funny because I almost fell in. I was so happy I slipped and if I wouldn't have just sat down I would have been in 6+ft deep fast moving water and probably swimming for my life.lol

Eric Denny

Summer is over but I'm still fishing!!
Oh hell, Rocky Ford, where else?
I still haven't gotten nothing out of there and I have been 3 times. Thats just not my worse.lol But I figure it got to be hard to catch a fish that has seen every kind of fly that can be tossed. Shit I heard they are so picky that they turn down the real thing.lol

bitterroot

Love vintage graphite!
Every single solitary time I fish the irrigation ditch, errr, I mean, the Yakima, with Dave Alberts.
It's always good for a boatload of laughs, though!

Lugan

Joe Streamer
Every single solitary time I fish the irrigation ditch, errr, I mean, the Yakima, with Dave Alberts.
It's always good for a boatload of laughs, though!
The Yak is tied with steelhead on the S Rivers for me for most skunkings. I think I have that river dialed, but some days it is just stingy.

Brian White

Recovering Bugmeister
I've been skunked my fair share, but one skunking stands out for me......

The setting: a spot on the Clark Fork that I won't name but it requires quite a long hike/walk before you get to the spot (i was wading it). It was December. Cold, occasional snow flurries and windy. I had just fished it the previous weekend, though, and had a phenomenal day throwing streamers and a few nymphs - I think I landed 5 fish over 15" and I lost one fish that was a beast - so I was totally fired up to get after it with my beloved Redington 9' 6 wt CPS.

I made the drive, parked the rig and hiked in....

This section of the Clark Fork has an island that you can wade out to, but it is a risky wade. a LOT of water. Long wade (I'm talking football field-ish or more), strong current, particularly slippery rocks covered with riversnot and almost up over the chest waders in sections but the payoff was worth it so off I went.

It was a dicey dicey wade but at last I got 95% of the way across. My mind wandered to the trouty-goodness I was about to enjoy in complete solitude. Suddenly I slipped hard and fell forward, right up to chest depth. As I did, my rod dip dipped and I snapped my CPS in two right about at the second ferrule. Unfortunately, I had just plopped the reel on but hadn't tied anything on, so when the rod snapped the snapped section immediately separated and began drifting downstream. Silver lining though - it looked like it was still within reach!

By some miracle no water had gotten in over my waders but my brain somehow convinced my body that i HAD to have that section. I lurched forward to grab it......and went in. Deep. Full body treatment and all the way under. DIDN'T manage to grab the rod section.

I dragged myself out onto the island, clutching what was left of my rod. I was through and through soaked - top to bottom. I then had to wade all the way back across the river and hike all the way back to the car in sub-freezing temps and light snow. Didn't manage one cast. Didn't have spare clothes in my rig that day.

The ultimate? When I gave my sob story to Redington and returned the CPS, they (as usual) provided great customer service but said that given fact that CPS was discontinued, they would be sending me a CPX instead :(

Skunks don't get a lot worse.

I've been skunked my fair share, but one skunking stands out for me......

The setting: a spot on the Clark Fork that I won't name but it requires quite a long hike/walk before you get to the spot (i was wading it). It was December. Cold, occasional snow flurries and windy. I had just fished it the previous weekend, though, and had a phenomenal day throwing streamers and a few nymphs - I think I landed 5 fish over 15" and I lost one fish that was a beast - so I was totally fired up to get after it with my beloved Redington 9' 6 wt CPS.

I made the drive, parked the rig and hiked in....

This section of the Clark Fork has an island that you can wade out to, but it is a risky wade. a LOT of water. Long wade (I'm talking football field-ish or more), strong current, particularly slippery rocks covered with riversnot and almost up over the chest waders in sections but the payoff was worth it so off I went.

It was a dicey dicey wade but at last I got 95% of the way across. My mind wandered to the trouty-goodness I was about to enjoy in complete solitude. Suddenly I slipped hard and fell forward, right up to chest depth. As I did, my rod dip dipped and I snapped my CPS in two right about at the second ferrule. Unfortunately, I had just plopped the reel on but hadn't tied anything on, so when the rod snapped the snapped section immediately separated and began drifting downstream. Silver lining though - it looked like it was still within reach!

By some miracle no water had gotten in over my waders but my brain somehow convinced my body that i HAD to have that section. I lurched forward to grab it......and went in. Deep. Full body treatment and all the way under. DIDN'T manage to grab the rod section.

I dragged myself out onto the island, clutching what was left of my rod. I was through and through soaked - top to bottom. I then had to wade all the way back across the river and hike all the way back to the car in sub-freezing temps and light snow. Didn't manage one cast. Didn't have spare clothes in my rig that day.

The ultimate? When I gave my sob story to Redington and returned the CPS, they (as usual) provided great customer service but said that given fact that CPS was discontinued, I would be sending me a CPX instead :(

Skunks don't get a lot worse.

Epic!

My first & only trip RF,but Didn't hurt nearly as much as a trip I took to the Yak two years ago. My pal and I were fishin the same piece of water from opposite banks with the exact same flys. He pulled in four nice fish in ten minutes. I got squat.

My first spring trip to Eastern Oregon to target ice-off - our target lake, which I had never fished but did a whole bunch of research and time dreaming about we got skunked for 4 hours fishing! low dirty ice off water didn't help so we went to 7 other res. and caught fish in all of them! but that one res. will see the wrath of me again until I redeem myself on it's waters! It doesn't help that it is about 400 miles away.
4 hours? Really? That must have been so frustrating. :rolleyes: