Request for help recovering payment or rod from NewTyer1 aka Scott Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas Williams

Habitual Line Stepper
Let me start off by saying, If you have your mind made up about me then you might as well move on to another thread. First off, I am not going to post my DD-214, there is to much personal info. on it so, you can forget that idea. I am 65% Service Connected with the VA and 100% disabled according to Social Security which just doesn't hand benifits out. I will state what happened in these circumstances and let you decide. Over the past 4 years I have been treated at the VA for multiple conditions and before they figured out which medications to give and how much I can honestly say, I wasn't at 100% in touch with reality and I made some mistakes. As far as PHWFF goes, yes I solicited items on two occations but, NEVER and I repeat, NEVER did I ever say I was a representitive of PHW although I did say I was a participant. I was asked nicely to stop, which I did but one day on the Classic fly rod forum I asked to buy a piece of Bamboo culm which got blown out of proportion and next thing I know a representive from PHW wrote that SOMEONE(gee, I wonder who he was talking about?)was trying to obtian bamboo rods under the gize that, that SOMEONE was a representivee of PHW which was as far from the truth as posible. So yes, I did solicite as a participent on a couple of occations but stopped when asked too. As far as the sale on the other forum goes, I sold some old fiberglass rods I had in the basement for $25 but, got band from the site for what they called corporate selling which basically says I am running a business which is so far from the truth it's funny but, I had no way to contact him and never received a letter. He has since contacted me which I thanked him for and his items are going out today. And the story about this reel, I cannot say truthfully one way or the other whether the story is true or not but, I know me, I would not complain about a reel that was given to me and as far as selling that item or any items for that matter, if I need the money for whatever reason and I have items I could sell then they are going, whether they were given to me or not but, believe me, I pay a lot of stuff each month forward, as in free so, this reel thing is not even worth my time. Now on to the Orvis outfit I just purchased. They had a 20% sale going on and because I belong to a Orvis program I get a real good deal on just about anything I buy, no stories, no underhanded stuff, no thievery. So, you can take these words and chew on them for awhile and form your own opinions but, I for one will sleep well tonight knowing that when it is all said and done that this is another one of the unfortunate misunderstandings that the internet breeds.

Blah Blah Blah someone call the whambulance! I dont even have words for all the things that TRUE HONORABLE VETS are thinking right now. Words are cheap anyways. What you need is old fashioned street justice!

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
I'd notify all the boards, all the TUs and VA fly clubs. So what if he says he's "working on it". Get him removed from scamming opportunities and then later when he can certify he's got things fixed, then consider whether to let him back. Me, I don't think he'll ever get things in order. Let him be known as a craigslist.scammer.

I would have liked to have met him when I was in the service. His mailing address would have been NavSta Phila.

Thomas Williams

Habitual Line Stepper
Its crazy to see how many people came out of the wood works to share similar stories about getting scammed by him! He will definitely change all his info so its best to share what to look out for on as many forums as possible. Im gonna sign up for a ton just to hopefully save someone else from being dooped.

Let me start off by saying, If you have your mind made up about me then you might as well move on to another thread. First off, I am not going to post my DD-214, there is to much personal info. on it so, you can forget that idea. I am 65% Service Connected with the VA and 100% disabled according to Social Security which just doesn't hand benifits out. I will state what happened in these circumstances and let you decide. Over the past 4 years I have been treated at the VA for multiple conditions and before they figured out which medications to give and how much I can honestly say, I wasn't at 100% in touch with reality and I made some mistakes. As far as PHWFF goes, yes I solicited items on two occations but, NEVER and I repeat, NEVER did I ever say I was a representitive of PHW although I did say I was a participant. I was asked nicely to stop, which I did but one day on the Classic fly rod forum I asked to buy a piece of Bamboo culm which got blown out of proportion and next thing I know a representive from PHW wrote that SOMEONE(gee, I wonder who he was talking about?)was trying to obtian bamboo rods under the gize that, that SOMEONE was a representivee of PHW which was as far from the truth as posible. So yes, I did solicite as a participent on a couple of occations but stopped when asked too. As far as the sale on the other forum goes, I sold some old fiberglass rods I had in the basement for $25 but, got band from the site for what they called corporate selling which basically says I am running a business which is so far from the truth it's funny but, I had no way to contact him and never received a letter. He has since contacted me which I thanked him for and his items are going out today. And the story about this reel, I cannot say truthfully one way or the other whether the story is true or not but, I know me, I would not complain about a reel that was given to me and as far as selling that item or any items for that matter, if I need the money for whatever reason and I have items I could sell then they are going, whether they were given to me or not but, believe me, I pay a lot of stuff each month forward, as in free so, this reel thing is not even worth my time. Now on to the Orvis outfit I just purchased. They had a 20% sale going on and because I belong to a Orvis program I get a real good deal on just about anything I buy, no stories, no underhanded stuff, no thievery. So, you can take these words and chew on them for awhile and form your own opinions but, I for one will sleep well tonight knowing that when it is all said and done that this is another one of the unfortunate misunderstandings that the internet breeds.
Veteran or not you are using the status to scam people (other vets), organizations and vendors out of equipment for no other reason but personal gain and your actions could cause vendors to drop their support of these badly needed veteran support organizations (groups). You sir (I used the term very loosely) should be ashamed of yourself!

Thomas Williams

Habitual Line Stepper
NewTyer1, I forbid you from making eye contact with the 82nd Airborn Patch! And secondly how the heck did you get a bad-ass fly fisherman on your signature!?

IHV2FSH

This, in my opinion, should not have been laundered on an open forum. Pity the mods couldn't do it more discretely and then once resolved to finality, posted info the effect of 'beware newtyer1'

i'm not defending his actions in anyway, but it certainly could have been handled a lot better than it was.

I thought this forum was much better than public humiliation on this scale.

I'm done, and i ask that my account be deleted from this forum.

Thanks.
Wow, I'm nowhere close to this point of view. This is the internet, is it not? If the scam is being committed here, why not handled here? It's not up to the mods to be some kind of investigative branch of WFF, but I think they have gone above and beyond to bring clarity to what's going on for the benefit of of all of us, at least to my satisfaction. Several have called him out on his dealings and I personally can't accept his explanations as being isolated incidences as he discribes them.

I'm going to suggest that this "vet" thing is nothing more than a ruse to cloud the issue. It's not about misrepresentaion of who you are or what you did in the past, it's about misrepresentaion of your intent. He has deliberatly misrepresented his intent, to do with the items that he requested be sent to him and to ship items paid for... it's been documented by others here. I'm no lawyer, but I think you call that fraud.

The "Reality" TV folks, always on the lookout for some obscure, completely distasteful human endeavor in West Virginia or Virginia, just came out of a big committee meeting in Manhattan and have decided on a title: "MY BIG FAT GYPSY FLY FISHING SCAMMER." They're all very excited about this slimy concept and have ask their people to contact NewTyer1's people. Stay tuned...
LOL:D . Good one!

Roger

This, in my opinion, should not have been laundered on an open forum. Pity the mods couldn't do it more discretely and then once resolved to finality, posted info the effect of 'beware newtyer1'

i'm not defending his actions in anyway, but it certainly could have been handled a lot better than it was.

Thanks.
I'd normally agree with this sentiment, but this is obviously beyond one person's poor experience with NewTyer1. I'd hope that this kind of thread doesn't become the norm for people who have a poor transaction experience and I feel reasonably confident that it won't.

I'm guessing this miscreant's days scamming the flyfishing community are over, and he will be moving onto another community. It's true that you can't teach an old dog new tricks, and similarly, it's very difficult to unteach an old dog his habitual tricks - especially a bad dog.
A shit leopard can't change it's spots

Ed Call

Thanks.

Thanks for your opinion. It has been added to those opinion of others.

Should you truly feel compelled to go, take care. Your account won't be deleted, that is not the practice of the site owner.

When users have issues, mods expect effort between the two to resolve. If unable, we are asked to intervene. We do so behind the curtains first. When those efforts fail, we think keeping our membership informed is a positive position to take.

As to the alleged scammer, I don't truly give two shits about your DD214 no more than you care about mine. The allegations that you are a scammer, that you are a reseller of goods acquired based on your scamming of other good hearted folks, and that you make excuses based on being a veteran is what I don't like. Best to you scumbag, now go prey on another forum membership. I like the folks we have here and would like you to man up and go away. Clearly you don't see any wrong in what you've done, others do.

I, for one, think the mods handled this one perfectly. I have never expected, and would never even think of, trying to get a "deal" based on my service to this country. True, I took advantage of the GI Bill to help with grad school costs, and had a VA loan, like most veterans, but to go to someone and ask what I can get for free just is not in the cards. My Dad, a veteran of WWII, would have been ashamed and smacked me in the head. I will also be going to some of the forums to make sure the word is out. I know this one has to have been really bugging guys like Chuck Tye and Jerry who readily give so much of themselves to PHW. Thanks for bringing this forward, Sam.

Thanks.
Public dishonesty, openly taking advantage of others on a public forum REQUIRES publicly calling out that individual, and there is nothing wrong with a public shaming, he deserves it.
jesse

Status
Not open for further replies.