Soft hackles and copper john-athon

Chad Lewis

NEVER wonder what to do with your free time
You mean you DON'T count the hackle fibers on a fly???? Good grief, man, you can't go tying flies willy-nilly!
Jesus GAT. Next you'll want everyone to count mayfly tails and shit. Geez.......

Let us leave Willie out of this. He gets me in enough trouble.

Now I know why my world us off center. I count hackle fibers.
Well up to ten, and then I lose count.

Most of the really sparse flies (North Country flies and spiders) were used on high gradient streams where the fish had but a short amount of time to decide if a fly was food or not. The sparse hackle moved more in the fast current and elicited strikes. I usually tie my spiders with 1 1/2 turns of hackle without stripping a side. This gives me more than 13 fibers, but after a few fish have gnawed on the fly the hackle gets whittled down a bit.

GAT

Dumbfounded
Seriously, I do tie some of my soft hackles very sparse, but not all. I change it up. Sometimes very sparse provokes a strike, sometimes those with a fuller hackle works better. Thus the reason I tie and carry both styles.

There's never "always" in fly fishing but "usually". I was careful not to use "always" in my articles because that ain't the way it works.

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
Seriously, I do tie some of my soft hackles very sparse, but not all. I change it up. Sometimes very sparse provokes a strike, sometimes those with a fuller hackle works better. Thus the reason I tie and carry both styles.

There's never "always" in fly fishing but "usually". I was careful not to use "always" in my articles because that ain't the way it works.

I think I'd tie my soft hackles bushy and evaluate things streamside. Then pluck out the hackle as needed for desired fiber count.

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
I also like them sparse. 1-2 turns.

Here's one fresh off the vise. Same fly as my avatar.
Hook - 14
Tail - Peacock sword tips paired
Body - Pearsall's 6B
Rib - Copper wire
Hackle - Hun partridge
P1000348 C&R2+.jpg

Here's a small working box of #14's & 16's. Some used, some just generally mangled from living in a box. Except for the Bailey/Stewart spiders and the fuzzy tan caddis the rest are 1-2 turns.
P1010558RR&C.jpg

P1010559RR&C.jpg

Great looking flies. Mine are not as pretty. I just discovered that my eyes have deteriorated a lot since I last dressed flies.

That peacock does a lot for the fly.