Sturgeon on the Fly

Smalma

Sturgeon are a pretty cool fish and one of the PNW icons. To my knowledge sturgeon is the only fish were the regulations require use of bait to be legal.

Curt

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
Sturgeon are a pretty cool fish and one of the PNW icons. To my knowledge sturgeon is the only fish were the regulations require use of bait to be legal.

Curt
Yeah, I was going to say that Curt. I have people who say I'm crazy that. Is it bait, or can it be just scent? Kept thinking scent was fine. But when I fish for them, I'm always using bait anyways. But they truly are a cool prehistoric looking fish.

GAT

Dumbfounded
We've talked about sturgeon fishing with flies as a joke for years. It figures John would be involved. I've trout fished with John before he became MR CARP. He's invited me to go sight fishing with him for the giant, really ugly fish :p and maybe someday, I'll take him up on it.

BTW: John invented the very effective Wilted Spinach trout pattern.... I don't think it works for carp. ...or sturgeon.

Greg Armstrong

OldRodsHaveMoreFun
Cool story about sturgeon.
In his book "Endless Season" Steve Probasco shares an episode of a fly caught sturgeon on the Naselle River.
It stuck in my mind because the story, as he relates it is so unusual.

GAT

Dumbfounded
Some spin anglers say you can't legitimately catch a sturgeon with a fly because the fish depends on smell to locate food. I guess this experience contradicts that theory.

Some spin anglers say you can't legitimately catch a sturgeon with a fly because the fish depends on smell to locate food. I guess this experience contradicts that theory.
I kind of agree with that statement. I think that this experience (if the fly wasn't scented, as many carp anglers secretly do to their flies and don't talk about it) is a fluke and not something that would happen again. Sturgeon have very poor eyesight, and very keen sense of smell to go after their food.

Flyborg

Psssh. Just about every Columbia gear guide has seen a sturgeon take a Blue Fox spinner or a plug in the mouth at some point. They can be aggressive and will target moving food.

Besides. Who's to say my flies don't smell. My wife sure thinks I do.

I kind of agree with that statement. I think that this experience (if the fly wasn't scented, as many carp anglers secretly do to their flies and don't talk about it) is a fluke and not something that would happen again. Sturgeon have very poor eyesight, and very keen sense of smell to go after their food.
Haven't posted here on a very long time, just wanted to say hello. Van was there and took some great pictures. This was a crazy deal but for the record the fly David used was tied by me and absolutely had no scent on it. If it was a scented fly it wouldn't really be fly fishing. I doubt I ever see such a sight again, but it sure was cool to even be a small part of it. I am sure Van feels the same way.