MF Snoqualmie last Thursday

JayH

Purchased a new Orvis 2wt this past February when I was in Chicago and finally landed my first fish on it. I've been pitching a line on the Middle Fork a half dozen times or so since then and last Thursday's low mark helped me out with an EHC and one other during what I am assuming was a brown drake hatch. Anyway, pic is representative of all four I had in hand over the course of an hour and a half or so.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Why is it that the fish in the forks never seem to get any bigger than these. They must grow bigger as they do feed on bugs. Are the poachers getting the bigger ones with power bait??

GAT

Dumbfounded
The size of the resident trout is directly proportional to the food source. More high quality food, the larger the trout. That guy may be as large as it is going to grow.

I fish a number of Cascade streams that hold resident cutts and they never grow much larger than 10-inches... and that's a lunker. I asked my fish biologist buddy about that and he said it's all about the food.

Nice picture and thanks for the report.

Old Man, my experience is the SF has the larger fish, especially closer to town. Probably due to the increase of food caused by people living near by.

Kent Lufkin

Remember when you could remember everything?
The size of the resident trout is directly proportional to the food source. More high quality food, the larger the trout. That guy may be as large as it is going to grow.
Exactly right.

The water that comes down out of the west slopes of the Cascades is among the cleanest in the world with very low levels of dissolved solids. Seattle is among the only cities in the nation that just uses ozone to treat the drinking water that comes out of the Chester Morse and Tolt reservoirs. The water is so pure that there's no need for heavy-duty chemicals or filtration. Ironically it's that very purity (and slightly acid pH) that causes it to produce so little of the biomass that trout eat in order to grow.

It's quite possible that little fish could be a year or two old or more.

K

All creatures have a biological size range. It's much wider for most species of fish than for humans. For us, Tom Cruise and Shaq aren't all that different in size, percentage-wise. Brook trout have always been limited to being small fish in skinny waters that allow nothing more. But in pristine, fertile Canadian rivers and lakes, they can readily grow to be ten-pounders. (But never more than 14 1/2 pounds; that's the genetic ceiling.)

C&CRods

not your average member
How far up the MF did you go? I do love how many of those little guys you can hook into in a day. Perfect for that new two wt

fly-by

That Westslope could have come down from a lake, but also could have come up from the SF. The far upper reach of the SF is dominated by Westslopes.