NFR Might Be Interesting to Some

GAT

Dumbfounded
Interesting as well that Russian satellites would pass over at certain times of day and the crews at Groom Lake caught on to this and would have to hide the planes or roll them back into the hangers. They actually painted silhouettes of generic looking jets on the tarmac to appease the satellites. In a sense, "these aren't the droids you're looking for"
You don't suppose other countries are wise to our satellites and doing the same thing with their secret designs? :)

GAT

Dumbfounded
Ah yes, the '57 Chevy had fins! :)

Leland.
I believe a model of Cadillac in the 50s holds the record for the tallest fins on an automobile. Even ski boats had fins in the 50s. My bicycle had a fin on the back fender. In those days, if it moved, it had fins.

steveb

Captain Nemo
Great post Leland! I'm living near Beale now and a buddy of mine flew one of the refueling tankers. I'll share it with him.

ps. there are still steelhead in the NoCal streams...

steveb

Sure, you got your Harriers, your Nighthawks, your Raptors...but without a doubt, the coolest, most bad-ass thing that ever flew is the Blackbird. Great article, thanks for sharing, Leland!

I remember reading an article a few years ago that claimed that seismologists in California were still detecting the occasional signature sonic booms of the SR-71 several years after it had been decommissioned. X-Files much?

miyawaki

Sure, you got your Harriers, your Nighthawks, your Raptors...but without a doubt, the coolest, most bad-ass thing that ever flew is the Blackbird. Great article, thanks for sharing, Leland!

I remember reading an article a few years ago that claimed that seismologists in California were still detecting the occasional signature sonic booms of the SR-71 several years after it had been decommissioned. X-Files much?
Makes you wonder. If they could do this in the 60's, what's happening now? And, by the way, where were the computers then? Slide rules you say?!!!

Leland.

I believe a model of Cadillac in the 50s holds the record for the tallest fins on an automobile. Even ski boats had fins in the 50s. My bicycle had a fin on the back fender. In those days, if it moved, it had fins.
That'd be the 59. I liked the 57 (Driving Miss Daisy car) but the fins grew and the 59 is just fugly. Collectors love them, tho.