Duct Tape---don't leave home without it.


Active Member
Went to float the lower Yakima Saturday morning intending on finding some willing bass. My wife dropped me off at the launch, and as I got ready to put my newly acquired (used) buck's bag pontoon in the water I noticed one side looked a little low, so I topped it off again, and heard that unwanted sssssssss. Closer examination reveals a smallish leak on a seam. While I sat their trying to decide what to do, I heard another ssssssssss from the other pontoon I assume it is also a leaky seam. Because I was close to home, I didn't have any duct tape for temporary repairs. So I fished near the launch periodically calling my wife to come pick me up. Three hours later after not getting my wife, I got a hold of my adult son who came and took me home. Which leads me to a few questions. 1. Can I rule out sabotage? my wife won't be rich if I die, but she believes the definition of a fishing rod is a stick with a worm on both ends!!! 2. Can vinyl bladders be repaired? 3. Is a replacement urethane bladder enough better than the vinyl to be worth the cost $80 versus $42? I got this pontoon as a loaner so I can take my sons or a friend along.

Ed Call

Well-Known Member
Duct tape can save the day in a lot of ways. I have had some success in repairing vinyl. A thing that you need to know is was the vinyl damaged causing the leak, or has it just aged long enough that it might be needing replacement. Personally, I think that urethane is a better materials, generally stronger, lighter and more durable from what I've seen and read. If it is a loaner, where will you be storing it between uses? I think that vinyl will be less tolerant to storage outside in the elements or deflated and rolled up to minimize space use. I hope you get it set to be back on the water again soon.


Not to be confused with freestoneangler
While I never leave home without Duct Tape, it is not my first choice for fixing leaks. I carry a product called Tear-Aid, which is what some manufacturers use to fix leaks. It is specific to either vinyl (type B) or urethane (type A) so be sure to buy the correct one. http://www.tear-aid.com/

I would try to find and fix the leaks before replacing the bladders. However, if you replace them, I'd spend the extra money and get the urethane.


Active Member
Thanks for the lead on Tear-aid. I will have to get one of each type as I have both--- I should be back on the water as soon as I get back from the land of sand and scorpions later this week, but it will be in the other pontoon.