8wt sink tip line question

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Ryan Higgins, Oct 22, 2013.

1. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    You can get great casting spey outfits for $250

2. tonemike

tonemike fish'n glass

i just got a Wulff Ambush line and an extra-fast sinking Airflo 10' head, but i've been just fine fishing a mastery type IV sink tip for years. nothing wrong with your standard sink tip line... as long as it's at least a type V.

3. PT

PT Physhicist

A teeny 200 helped put my first few dozen fish in the bag. I'd rather be losing flies than fishing 4' off the bottom.

4. snbrundage

snbrundage Member

Alpine

At Pacific buy a Rio Skagit Max short in about 275 grains, and a floating running line. Michael will cut the loops off the Skagit and the running line, then weld them together for you. You will fish this set up with three MOW tips, floating and two different sink rates. That covers almost all steelhead conditions in a nice 30 foot configuration. I would be surprised if you did not get 70 feet, out of the box, without any false casting. That is for any casting ability.

My 8 wt is ten foot and very fast and stiff, so I use the 325 wt skagit. The Sage rod you are talking about may not handle the 325 grains, that's why I said 275 grains. If you do this, then think about a little bigger reel to handle the larger line. I use a Lamson Guru 3.5 and I think it is perfect.

good luck

PT likes this.
  5. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    Mending a Skagit Max head with running line using a single hander sounds painful

6. snbrundage

snbrundage Member

Golf,

I've had no trouble mending heads with tips and running line since the 70's.

Please say something about how and why you know this to be painful before you discourage the man.

Thank you

PT likes this.
  7. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    Sorry I assumed it was implied.

A downside of all shooting heads is the lack of line control you have with it. Its really hard to properly control a fat heavy head that's far away especially when you only have a 9ft or whatever size 1hander to lift line up wth. Seeing as a skagit max cut up in the way you suggested would be one of the most extreme shooting head setups imagineable, its safe to say it would be painful to mend. My outbound short line is hard to mend when compared to other lines, so a shorter skagit Max would be worse.

For ease of casting I have no doubt your setup would Bomb casts and be great but when he's trying to steelhead as stated then line and fly control would be sub optimal. Nothing you said is wrong I was just stating a harsh downside to the setup.

8. snbrundage

snbrundage Member

1. The Skagit Max is not cut up in any way, the back loop is removed to facilitate smoother action through the guides. That in turn allows a wider range of casts.

2. The head of this Skagit Max with the tip is exactly as long as the head on your Outbound Short. Extreme? How? Please explain.

3. My Skagit set up turns over better than my Outbound Short in approximately the same weight.

4. I understand that longer rods mend better, and that thicker lines mend better. At 60 ft. and beyond there is no issue. Mending casts beyond 70 ft. what would be a better set up in a line with tips? The Rio Versi Tip with a little longer belly? Not beyond 70 ft. Maybe for some but I like the greater, really great, versatility of the MOW tips and the 30 foot head.

5. Please tell us what would be the optimal line for a single hand 8 wt.

6. I see no harsh down side, no downside at all to this set up. A thirty foot shooting head with interchangeable tips is optimal for steelheading. Especially on the Wenatchee if you ever get out of the boat.

These are the reasons that fisher persons worked like hell back in the day to create these things. These are the reasons that knowledgeable people at the major manufacturers create them today. And these are the reasons you shouldn't chirp if you haven't had the relevant experience.

PT likes this.
  9. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy No mas

Dude is trying to get a two hander now, so ya'll arguing like girls over what line is right for steelhead on a one hander is worthless. BUT to add to that discussion, it is user preference. Go with what works for you!

10. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    I just stated one fact and that dude went off on illogical tangents. Don't lump me in with him por favor

11. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    Simmer down chief you're getting carried away. All I said was the shorter a shooting head the harder it is to mend. For some reason this fact pissed you off...relax

Back to the op: get a 2 hander and don't look back

12. Ryan Higgins

Ryan Higgins Active Member

Media:
    Albums:

True, but discussion is always good. I'll still be getting a 8wt single hander. MIght actually step it up to a 9 or 10, it will be for bass and musky. Thanks for helping me spend more money. Gonna have to go over to pacific fly fishers with $1000 in the pocket and get some new gear:D

13. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Media:
    If you're set on getting a SH (that's all I fish), IMO, there's no better line for swinging than Ambush. My 8wt lined up with the 8wt Ambush (290gr) will turn over modestly sized flies plus 8-10' of T-8 pretty easily. Although, lately I've been playing around with Rio Pike/Musky line (check out the taper), and really like a slightly longer head...So far, I've found it thus far to be every bit the equal to the Ambush (I have yet to try any sort of tips on it yet, but I rarely fish with tips anyway).

Simply by choosing to go with a SH, you're already limiting how effectively you can fish at extreme distance. If you're wanting to bomb casts out consistently 100+', go with a spey rod.

14. Ryan Higgins

Ryan Higgins Active Member

Media:
    Albums:

Yeah I've decided to do a single hander for Musky/Bass and get a Spey for the Steel. Some of the runs I fish will benefit greatly from the distance a 2h gives me.

15. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Media:
    yeah, I've considered that many times...even went to far as to get a 2H rod several years ago. Loved the distance I could get (with a little practice), but I just enjoy fishing my glass rods too damn much to really want to fish that spey even periodically...consequently, it is no longer a part of my quiver. I find that I just fish smaller pieces of water & water that I wouldn't have given a second look if I was fishing a 2-hander.