8wt switch reel options??

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by sandspanker, Nov 18, 2010.

1. sandspanker Member

Camas
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    What are my options for reels? Thank you
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,469 / 9
    Most good sized 9/10 wt rated reels would work. Some will need a bit more size. Make sure that you verify that your line and enough backing will fit. On my 7 and 8wt switches I use a Vosseler S2 and it is awesome. On the 7 I can also use a Galvan Torque and it holds full lines and lots of backing. I think the balance feels fine. So many good options out there. What is your budget, preferences in companies, etc?
  3. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,676 / 2
    That's about the most open ended question ever.

For my 7wt switch, I use a Nautilus CCF8, which is an 8/9wt size reel. An 8wt would be best fitted with a 9/10
  4. John Wallace Active Member

Bellevue,Wa.
    Ratings: +62 / 1
    I don't know how much you want to spend. There are a lot of great reels. But for your money, I would go with Allen fly fishing There are a lot of fishernan on this site that have them. I just put my name on a 8/9 reel and will have it in a week or so. I'm also saving for one of his 8wt switch rod.
  5. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +367 / 0
    Allen's Alpha 9/10 is what I'm using on my 7/8 wt switch with a 9wt 40+ line and 100 yards of backing. Plenty of room for more backing also...that's just what I had laying around.
  6. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +121 / 0
    Good answers above, but the size of the reel (personal opinion here only) depends upon two things: Rod balance is the first, and type of line you'll be loading on same. For my lighter rods (for 'disclosure' here I prefer Scandi heads for most of my fishing) a Ross CLA 5 for the lightest of equipment, and a Ross CLA 6 will hold a hell of a lot of line/shooting line and 125-150 yards of 30# backing for the bigger rods.

Either reel (straight retail) will run about $225-$250 USD.
  7. jmwfish224 You know what it is!

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I fish a Lamson Guru 3.5 on my switch. Lightweight and dependable drag system. Oh yeah, and totally affordable.
  8. Abyl Member

Bremerton, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I use a Redington CDL 11/12 for my 8wt switch....it may seem a little big but its my only spey reel I have right now so its used for multiple tips for different rods....still the drag is great and they're affordable, even when they were still made and new.