8WT TFO BVK Bass setup

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by james.jimenez, Jun 14, 2014.

1. james.jimenez Active Member

South Korea
    Ratings: +245 / 0
    Anyone here use this rod for bass? I am thinking of purchasing one before I head back to Korea.

Any suggestions on 8WT lines would be great as well, clear intermediate, floating, or should I go with versa tips?
  2. JonT Member

Ratings: +42 / 0
    I've never used TFO, but heard good things.

I always use floating lines for bass because I like to start off throwing frogs and other topwater flies. If need be, I'll put on a sink tip, but usually my clousers and other streamers get down fast enough to be in the strike zone if the bass are sluggish and not busting the big surface flies. In my experience, bass aren't really leader-shy, so I'll use a 10-12# 6-8' leader.
  3. Kendz New Member

Blaine
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I have an 8wt BVK that i mostly use for bass. I love it. My favorite line to use with it is the sage WF floating bass taper. I feel like by the second false cast your ready to shoot as far as you want. I agree with JonT that with enough leader and weighted flies you don't "need" a sink tip.
  4. james.jimenez Active Member

South Korea
    How do you all think this rod would compare to a Hardy Zenith Sintrix 8WT?
  5. Kendz New Member

Blaine
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Don't know that one.
  6. LCnSac John or "LC"

Sacramento, CA
    Ratings: +136 / 1
    I think the BVK 8 wt. is a great choice for bass. I'm good with a 6 wt. for smallies, but an 8 wt. fishes better for largemouth. I only use two lines, a floater and a T-200, especially for moving water and late season fishing. Don't be afraid to over line the BVK--it's a fast rod. The Sage largemouth line is terrific for accuracy and long distance. I would chose that one next time over my Rio Outbound Short floater next time.
  7. james.jimenez Active Member

South Korea
    What grain weight are you using for your Sage Bass line?
  8. LCnSac John or "LC"

Sacramento, CA
    The 330 works well with the fast BVK 890. I don't own one, I've just cast it. It's really meant for a slightly slower rod that Sage makes, but it shoots out fairly heavy bugs well on the BVK--as well as on my Orvis ZG which is my favorite bass and striper rod for topwater.
  9. james.jimenez Active Member

South Korea
    Someone has a Redington Torrent for sale in an 8WT.. Anyone have an opinion on this rod? Sorry for all the questions just trying to see what's out there before I tell the wife I got a speeding ticket and need to spend and need to pull money out if the account and pay it in cash..
  10. JonT Member

Ratings: +42 / 0
    Me neither.
  11. LCnSac John or "LC"

Sacramento, CA
    I don't think the rod is super critical for bass. You need a good, sensitive tip for subsurface to feel the subtle takes, and enough backbone to muscle them out of cover and turn over the flies. I think the line and leader is more important. You need a fast taper and short, stout leader to turn over the larger flies. I build my own, either starting with 25# Mason or an old trout leader and work down to 12# or 15# test, 6'-8' long. For Clousers and striper fishing I use 6' of Maxim 15# test from the fly line and don't bother with the taper.

For smallies and lakes without much shore cover or known large fish, I use my TFO Lefty Kreh Signature 690 when wind is low. That about a $100 rod and over lined with 8 wt. line it casts large bugs a short distance (30' - 40') and makes a 1# - 2# bass fun to fight. Be honest--that's the majority of our catch in the West other than during spawning. If the wind is up and casts are short I'll go to my 690 RPL for smallies or the 8 wt. setups if I need distance or feel I have a shot at better fish.