8wt to much stick for summer runs?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by WA-Fly, Nov 5, 2013.

1. I am planning on getting a 13' 8wt for an all around rod, it should be good for all my winter fishing but will it be over kill for skykomish summer steelhead. I want a rod that I know has the power to make quick work of any steelhead on the Sky. I use a 10'6" medium heavy gear rod for all of my river fishing, because it can handle pretty much any fish that I will encounter in the skykomish and I figured I should just apply the same principle to spey fishing.

2. An 8wt is fine. You many end up wanting another rod specifically for summer fish but an 8 is a good crossover. If you can only have 1 rod that would be a good choice.

As others will probably point out, which 8wt you choose will make a difference how it fishes.

3. 13' 8wt is a good all around rod, depending on your style of casting and lines that are out there you have a lot to choose from. I have a 7/8wt that I cast a 320 scandi, 390 Skagit switch up to 500 grains, it just is dependent on how adaptable you are in your casting.

I know more experienced people will chime in, but yes it is a good all around in my opinion. But it is hard to have just one!

4. Should work just fine.

5. I would recommend a 7 13? As a all round rod for the PNW. I also started with a 8 VT2. It was just too much rod for the fish I find regularly up here. The 7 is also a good summer rod for when you have to go deep or heavy. Also cuts through the wind on the E. side for summer fish

6. A 13' 8 wt is a good all around rod. If the Sky were the only or main river I fished, I'd choose a 13' 7 wt however for year round use. Using rods from 16' 10 wt down to 12' 7 wt, the 13' 7 wt is what I've settled on for the majority of my steelhead fishing. I should add that I don't throw T-14 or half-chicken sized flies either. An 8 wt or 8/9 wt would do that work better.

Sg

7. Thanks for all the insight, now what would be a good line airflo scandi compact or rage compact. I want to do a lot of fishing near the surface but still be able to do some work deeper water easily.

8. I use a Skagit head with tips for deep sunk fly fishing and a floating short head Spey (about 52-55') for surface fishing.

Sg

9. I could lend you a line or two to fish if you're in the Seattle area. Rio Powerspey in 6/7 or 7/8 to see if you like the longer heads. If not, then you can experiment with some of the shorter stuff on the market to figure out what suits your needs.

10. Compact Skagit is a great line to start with. Reasonably easy to cast. That said, one question to you. Are you new at casting a spey rod?

For winter fishing you use heavier tips and larger flies. Neither of those are all that easy to start casting with.

I wasted my first year trying to fish. I threw dry line ,wet line, all lengths and weights of T small and large flies. My local fly shop loved me. I should of been trying to develop better fundamentals of casting.

I also miss read your initial post. While I think a 7 is a great all round rod, you did specifically say winter rod. A 8 would be better. Just for the fact that you can use a heavier grain head. It takes mass to throw mass. IMO a bit over kill for summer fish though

Then you can buy a 7, a 6 a 5 and what ever other spey rod you desire later. It will happen.

fredaevans likes this.
  11. Okay I'm going to look at a 7wt tomorrow, I can tackle monster bows with a 3wt single hander, then I can tackle average steelhead with a 7wt spey

12. 7wt

13. 11'9" is the new 13'. I can do as much with that rod as I can with my 13'er and its over 2 ounces lighter! I fish my 8119 year-round and just switch the skagit for a scandi in the summer.

14. Although a 13' 8 wt is a good all-around rod for year round use. It is in my opinion, a little heavy for the smaller summer steelhead found in the Sky, and a little light for fishing large flies in winter, but it will do both reasonably well.

Since you mentioned you will primarily fishing the Sky, I would go to a 14' 8 wt for the simple reason that the Sky is a fair-sized river, especially in winter, and the longer 14' rod would help with line control on longer casts and help make it just a little easier to reach those lies that are 90'-100' away on the Sky.

I've got to be honest and tell you that I like to use the longest 2-hander I can, which depends on the size of the river. In winter I will use my 16'er and even possibly my 18'er on the Sky, Sauk, and Skagit. I use my 11' switch rod on small rivers like the Dicky, unless fishing for coho, then I use it with a standard single-hand shooting taper because I strip the flies and don't swing for coho. And I use my 13'er on rivers like the NF Stilly, Methow, Calawah, and upper Hoh for summer runs.

15. I'd go with a 6 for places like the Methow; it's not a big stream, and those fish aren't monsters.

16. I think a 7 or 8wt would be good. Places like the Sky do get Kings in the summer, and having that little extra rod just in case you hook into one, wouldn't be a bad idea. I use a 7wt Orvis Access switch and an Amundson 7/8wt Spey. My 6 wt Amundson switch only gets used on smaller tribs and rivers without the big monsters in them.

17. A modern 13' 7 weight is a good "happy-medium" steelhead stick for most of the waters you'll see in the lower 48. From skagit heads with T-17 tips, to 37' scandi heads that'll lay that Original Temple dog out there with the softest of a plop on that greasy, bouldery, boiling piece of fishy water that gets you all kinds of hot'n bothered. Modern graphite scrims and rod designs make these some of the easiest casting and toughest rods this generation has seen, also some of the most expensive.
    Fish fighting is up to you, the angler. As much as rod companies want to advertise lifting power, and fish fighting power and all that jazz, remember Lee Wulff landed hundreds of multi-sea atlantic salmon with a 2 WEIGHT BAMBOO ROD!!! Think about that a second and let it sink in. Goran Andersson; literally the guy who invented Scandinavian style shooting heads, fishes a 6 weight 12-footer for NORCAL and OR coast winter steelhead...
    So yeah, 7 weight is definitely not overkill, nor will you be undergunned. Until you go full speytard and start talking about grease lining, riffle hitching, and Syd Glasso this, and Dick Wentworth that. Then, welcome to the club.

Nooksack Mac and Cole L like this.