Received a great tip on a lodge from CWUgirl almost exactly a year ago after she had posted pics of what seemed at the time an awesome weekend spent in solitude primarly casting and with the added benefit of some wing shooting. The lodge or shall I say cabin is situated in Barstow, WA. (a short 7-hour drive east from Bellingham), nestled in a 175 acre parcel with an outstanding CR trout pond! The cabin is far from "roughing it"...and if it wasn't for the log/timber construction, and location I would almost dare to call it a very nice 'house'. Among the cabin's amenities are a pier/raft with (aka "party barge") an electric trolling motor, row boat, and canoe. The lake seemed to be 2-3 acres in size and was DEEP...not sure how deep, but deep! All along the pond's edge was a shallow shelf that simply dropped off into the abyss, which seemed to be the 'spot' to drop your fly. Spent 90% of our time drowning pheasant tails (seemed to be the fly that worked the best), the other 10% was flinging a dry at the occasional cruiser in the shallows. Out of the 40 or more fish my father and I caught we can honestly say the smallest fish was 12", with the largest being around 7 pounds! Some faught like Kamloop bows...flying more than swimming, while others were simply bulldogs. As stated before the property is 175 acres, enough for some city folk to get lost looking for chicken of the forest. Didn't immediately hunt the property, but rather headed out to the Colville National Forest along 395 and spent some time looking for blues in the hills to no avail. Only to be greeted on the road back to the cabin by three individual coveys of ruffs! Grabed our guns and located the first covey deep in some cover and flushed four of the seven and dropped two...amazingly three stuck around and you could hear them calling each other, however, they managed to easily flush through the heavy cover to safety. Took our third just prior to sunset. Fifteen minutes later we had grouse for dinner paired with an excellent bottle of wine from "China Bend Winery." In all a great trip with my family! My three year old saw her first trout and grouse. My wife now understands why I dream of a small piece of land on the east side. My parents got to see another part of the state besides the west side. And I realized I've become my father of 30+ years ago waiting for my kid and father, tying knots, cleaning birds, and enjoying every minute of it!